Ilish Pani Khola aka Sada Ilish is a light curry prepared with Ilish mach and also almost no spices apart from salt and green chili.
- Ilish Mach/ Hilsa Fish chunks: 6 (100g each)
- Onion: 3
- Green Chili: 5-6
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Ilish-Pani-Khola-Making-300x300.jpg"][/url]
- Wash fish chunks and rub some salt. I do not use turmeric powder in this recipe.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Take chopped onion along with 1 Tsp. salt and also 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a bowl and mix those until onion started releasing moisture.
- This step will take around 10 minutes.
- The onion will turn paler and will release sufficient moisture.
- Add slit green chilis and mix those as well.
- Take the mixture in a pan and place the fish chunks on the top of the onion mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add 2 cups of water and adjust salt and chili.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Mustard oil as well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 more minutes on low flame.
- There should be sufficient gravy at the end of the cooking.
- Serve Ilish Pani Khola with hot steamed Rice.
I do not use Turmeric powder while cooking Sada Ilish. This is to give the paler color to the curry. However, Mustard oil adds natural color to it.
You may use other oils instead of mustard oil, however, this dish is prepared with almost no spices and hence the pungent taste of mustard oil boosts the flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 1310mg
- Fat: 22.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 36.2g
- Cholesterol: 92mg