Ilish Pani Khola aka Sada Ilish is a light curry prepared with Ilish mach and also almost no spices apart from salt and green chili.
- 4 Ilish Mach/ Hilsa Fish chunks (100g each)
- 4 Onion
- 5-6 Green Chili
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- Wash fish chunks and rub some salt.
- I do not use turmeric powder in this recipe.
- Finely chop the onion.
- Take chopped onion along with 1 Tsp. salt and also 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil in a bowl and mix those until the onion started releasing moisture.
- This step will take around 10 minutes.
- The onion will turn paler and will release sufficient moisture.
- Add slit green chilis and mix those as well.
- Take the mixture into a pan and place the fish chunks on top of the onion mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add 2 cups of water and adjust the salt and chili.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of Mustard oil as well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 more minutes on low flame.
- There should be sufficient gravy at the end of the cooking.
- Serve Ilish Pani Khola with hot steamed Rice.
- I do not use Turmeric powder while cooking Sada Ilish. This is to give a paler color to the curry. However, Mustard oil adds natural color to it.
- You may use other oils instead of mustard oil, however, this dish is prepared with almost no spices and hence the pungent taste of mustard oil boosts the flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 382
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 1310mg
- Fat: 22.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 36.2g
- Cholesterol: 92mg