Bori Aloor Jhal is a vegetarian and vegan Bengali delicacy prepared with Potato and sun-dried lentil dumplings. The gravy is mustard-based.
- 100g Bori/ Bengali sun-dried lentil dumplings (15-20 pieces)
- 3 Potato
- 1 Tomato
- 5-6 Green Chili
- 1 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash and soak mustard seeds in water for 15 minutes.
- Take only the seeds along with 2 green chilies and 1/2 tsp. salt and make a smooth paste of it.
- Add 2 cups of water to the paste and run it through a sieve to remove the husk and impurities.
- Wash and peel Potatoes and cut them into wedges.
- Chop Tomatoes roughly.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil and once properly heated keep the flame on medium.
- Fry the Bori for around one minute and strain from the pan.
- Now heat the remaining oil.
- Fry potatoes until they turn golden in color.
- Do not remove potatoes from the pan
- Add chopped tomatoes and keep the flame on the lower side.
- Using a spatula break the tomatoes and cook till they soften.
- Now add the mustard liquid followed by green chili, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and also sat to taste.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for around 10 minutes.
- If needed add some more water.
- Once the potatoes are done add fried Bori.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Bori will soak the gravy by then.
- Once the gravy reaches the desired consistency switch the flame off.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice.
- Mustard oil makes the dish flavorful.
- Instead of making mustard paste at home, you can use mustard powder.
- Bori soaks loads of oil. Do not use entire oil to fry Bori, instead use 1 tbsp. oil to pan-fry Bori.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Sodium: 658mg
- Fat: 16.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 35.6g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Protein: 8.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: bengali borir jhal, Bori aloor jhal recipe, debjanir rannaghar, bengali vegan recipe