Kala Bhuna is a famous semi-dry blackish Meat preparation from Bangladesh. Beef Kala Bhuna is the most famous form of this dish.
- 1 kg Beef (with bone; medium pieces)
- 4 Onion (finely chopped)
- 5 Green Chilies ( Chopped)
- 1.5 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1.5 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1.5 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Radhuni (Powdered)
- 3 Bay Leaf
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick (broken)
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 6 Clove
- 1/4 Tsp Mace ( powdered)
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Dry Red Chilies
- 1 Tsp Salt or to taste
- 5 Onion
- 200g Plain Curd (optional)
- 4 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt: to taste
- 250ml Mustard Oil (For frying and cooking)
- Wash and pat dry meat.
- Take the meat along with chopped onion, chopped green chilies, Ginger paste, Garlic Paste, Cumin Powder, salt and 3 Tbsp. of Mustard oil and mix everything using the fingers.
- Add all the whole spices (Bay Leaf, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Clove, Mace, Star Anise, and also Dry Red Chili).
- Mix everything while breaking the spices using the fingers.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and give the meat a resting time of 3-4 hours (preferably in a refrigerator).
- Now add dry 1.5 Tbsp. roasted cumin powder and mix it as well.
- Again cover the bowl and leave it for 2 more hours (preferably in a refrigerator).
- Finely chop the onion.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan (preferably iron pan) and fry chopped onion along with dry red chillis until those are brown and crisp.
- Strain the onion and chilies from oil and keep those aside.
- Keep the flame on the lower side.
- Add marinated meat along with the marination to the same oil used for frying the onions.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and cook for around 45 minutes with frequent stirring.
- This step is for frying the meat.
- Add well-beaten plain curt and mix it with the meat. This step is optional, however, gives some moisture to the meat.
- Fry for 15 more minutes.
- The meat will start blackening by then.
- Now add fried onions to the meat and give a thorough mix.
- Fry till the meat softens yet have the texture and shape. This will take 30 minutes more.
- Adjust the salt and hotness as per taste.
- The meat will release sufficient moisture.
- Cook till the meat turn blackish in color and have semi-thick consistency.
- Serve Kala Bhuna hot with Rice or Paratha or Biryani.
- Do not cover the meat while cooking Kala Bhuna.
During the cooking process, you need to stir vigorously which is known as "bhuna".
Both Roasted cumin powder and Mustard oil play a pivotal role in making Kala bhuna perfect. Be generous while adding those.
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 250g
- Calories: 945
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 893mg
- Fat: 66.1g
- Saturated Fat: 11.2g
- Carbohydrates: 20.8g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 65.4g
- Cholesterol: 181mg
Keywords: Kala bhuna Recipe, Beef Recipe, Beef curry recipe, beef kala bhuna recipe, debjanir rannaghar