Posto Mangsho aka Mutton Curry cooked with Poppy Seed paste is a Bengali style Mangsho aka Mutton curry cooked with famous Posto Bata!
- 500g Mutton
- 50g Poppy Seed/ Posto
- 150g Plain Curd/ Yogurt
- 6 Green Chilies
- 2 Onions
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Gandharaj Lebu/ Lime (optional)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder (Optional)
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder (Optional)
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp or to taste Salt
- 7 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Marinate Meat with 1/2 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, half of the Salt, Cumin Powder, Garam Masala Powder, and also 1 Tsp. Sugar.
- In addition to that add 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil.
- Marinade the meat overnight or at least for 4 hours.
- Soak Poppy Seed in hot water for 15 minutes and make a smooth paste of poppy seed with 2 green chilis and 1/4 tsp. Salt.
- Make a paste of the Onions.
- Mix both Ginger and Garlic paste with it.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. Oil in a deep bottom pan. I have used heavy Kadai.
- Temper the Oil with Bay leaf and Dry Red Chilis.
- Now add Onion paste and cook till the raw aroma goes and the onion turned deep pink in color.
- Add Ginger and Garlic Paste and cook till oil leaves the side of the mixture.
- Now add Poppy Seed Paste and cook over the low flame until the raw aroma goes completely.
- Add 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil and 1/2 Tsp. Salt and cook for around 5 minutes on low flame.
- Now add 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil and cook for a minute.
- Now add plain curd and mix vigorously.
- Add green chilies and cook until oil leaves the edges of the mixture.
- Now add marinated meat along with the marinade and cook on low flame until the meat softens. Cover the pan with a lid and stir in between.
- It will take around one hour to cook the meat properly.
- Once done, add lemon juice and switch the flame off.
- Serve Posto Mangsho with steamed rice.
- Both Turmeric Powder and Red chili powder are optional if you want the whitish color of the curry. I prefer to add both to give a little color to my Posto Mangsho.
- Instead of a pan, for fast cooking, you may use a pressure cooker. If using a cooker, you need to cook until 3-4 whistles come out of the cooker on low flame.
- Adjust salt as per taste.
- Adjust the gravy as per taste and preference. I prefer it to be not much runny.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 90 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 596
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 273mg
- Fat: 18.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4.05g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1.75g
- Protein: 25.05g
- Cholesterol: 76.5mg
Keywords: Posto Mangsho Recipe, msngshor jhol recipe, bengali mutton curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar