Lau Shaker Chorchori is Bengali Vegetarian and Vegan Mishmash prepared with Bottle Gourd Greens and other veggies
- 2 whole sticks Lau Shak/ Bottle Gourd Greens
- 1 Potato (Big)
- 1 Eggplant/ Begun/ Baingan
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Jhinge/ Ridge Gourd (optional)
- 2 Green Chili
- 1 Tsp. Bengali five spices/ Panch Phoron
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 10 Bori/ Vadi/ Bengali sundried lentil dumplings (optional)
- Wash the greens thoroughly and cut them into long strips. Use both the stem and leaves.
- If possible microwave the greens for 2 minutes or wash them under hot water.
- Peel the skin and cut all the veggies using into small cubes.
- Heat half of the oil and fry Bori and strain from the oil.
- Add remaining oil and temper the oil with Bengali five spices and dry red chili.
- Now add Potato cubes and cook on medium flame until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Add the rest of the veggies except the greens and cook for 2-3 minutes after adding turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar, and also salt.
- Now add the greens and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame until the greens release moisture.
- Once the moisture is released, mix again and cook till the moisture evaporates and the mishmash is properly cooked with the shape of the veggies intact.
- Add fried Bori and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice and Daal.
- If available add other veggies such as carrots, radishes, sweet potatoes, Pumpkin, etc.
- You can skip veggies you don't like or are not allowed to take. For example, Potato can completely be skipped or substituted with Carrot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 774mg
- Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 17.7g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: lau shaker chorchori recipe, bengali chorchori recipe, bottle gourd recipe, debjanir rannaghar