Lau Shaker Chorchori is Bengali Vegetarian and Vegan Mishmash prepared with Bottle Gourd Greens and other veggies
- Lau Shak/ Bottle Gourd Greens: 2 whole sticks
- Potato: 1 (Big)
- Eggplant/ Begun/ Baingan: 1
- Tomato: 1
- Jhinge/ Ridge Gourd: 1 (optional)
- Green Chili: 1-2
- Bengali five spices/ Panch Phoron: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Bori/ Vadi/ Bengali sundried lentil dumplings: 10 (optional)
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Lau-Shaker-Chorchori-making.jpg"][/url]
- Wash the greens thoroughly and cut into long strips. Use both the stem and leaves.
- If possible microwave the greens for 2 minutes or wash under hot water.
- Peel the skin and cut all the veggies using into small cubes.
- Heat half of the oil and fry Bori and strain from the oil.
- Add remaining oil and temper the oil with Bengali five spices and dry red chili.
- Now add Potato cubes and cook on medium flame until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Add rest of the veggies except the greens and cook for 2-3 minutes after adding turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar and also salt.
- Now add the greens and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame until the greens release moisture.
- Once the moisture is released, mix again and cook till the moisture evaporates and the mishmash is properly cooked with the shape of the veggies intact.
- Add fried Bori and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice and Daal.
If available add other veggies such as carrot, radish, sweet potato, Pumpkin, etc.
You can skip veggies you don't like or not allowed to take. For example, Potato can completely be skipped or substituted with Carrot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 774mg
- Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 17.7g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg