Kasundi Ilish is an easy Bengali mustard gravy-based Hilsa fish preparation. This is an instant hilsa curry recipe.
- 6 pieces Ilish Mach(I have used head and tail pieces as well)
- 4 Tbsp. Kasundi Sauce
- 100g Plain Curd
- 2 Tbsp. Poppy Seed Paste/ Posto Bata
- 4 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash and clean fish chunks properly.
- Marinate fish chunks with salt and turmeric powder (half of each).
- If using the head and tail pieces, those are needed to be fried. Rest of the pieces will be used as it is.
- In a bowl take Kasundi, Posto Bata, Plain curd, salt, and turmeric powder and mix properly using a spoon.
- Now heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry head and tail if using and strain those after frying.
- Pour the mixture of Kasundi over the oil followed by the garlic paste.
- Add salt and slit green chili as well.
- Cook for five minutes on low flame.
- Add fish chunks and cook for 10 minutes by covering the pan with a lid.
- Turn the fishes using a spatula in between.
- Once done, and the gravy reached a semi-thick consistency, switch the flame off.
- Serve Kasundi Ilish hot with steamed rice.
- I prefer to use unfried fish to make this dish. You may fry the fish lightly to make this.
- You can use either homemade or storebought Kasundi to make this.
- Garlic paste is optional, however, enhances the flavor.
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Calories: 669
- Sugar: 15.3g
- Sodium: 1751mg
- Fat: 40.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrates: 49.4g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
Keywords: kasundi ilish recipe, hilsa curry recipe, ilish mach recipe, debjanir rannaghar