Pyaz Diye Masoor Dal is a simple Bengali Lentil soup prepared with Red Lentil aka Masoor Dal with Onion.
- 50g Masoor Dal/ Red Lentil
- 2 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 3 Green Chili
- 2 cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Kalojire/ Kalonji/ Onion Seed
- Wash Masoor Dal two-three times under running water.
- Take Dal along with half of the turmeric powder and 1/2 Tsp. salt in a Pressure Cooker.
- Add three cups of water.
- Attach the lid and put the weight.
- Pressure cook on medium flame until pressure releases two times (Two whistles).
- Switch the flame off.
- Open the lid once the pressure dropped completely.
- Meanwhile, chop onion and tomato.
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Temper the oil with Onion seed and also dry red chili.
- Add chopped onion and fry until the onion turns translucent in color.
- Add chopped Tomato and crushed garlic and cook until tomato soften.
- Now add Turmeric powder and green chili and also salt.
- Cook until oil leaves the edge.
- Now add Boiled dal to it.
- If required add little water.
- Cook for five minutes and switch the flame off.
- Serve Pyaz Diye Masoor Dal hot with steamed rice and a side.
- Both Garlic and Tomato are optional however both these ingredients enhance the flavor.
- Mustard Oil can be replaced with Vegetable oil however, it is mustard oil that makes this dish more flavorful.
- You may add a bunch of Cilantro for added flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 592mg
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.8g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: piyaj diye masoor dal recipe, bengali masoor dal recipe, debjanir rannaghar