Prepared with Tangra Mach, Potato, and Piajkoli; Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol is a light seasonal Bengali Fish curry
- Tangra Mach: 6 Pieces (whole, and cleaned)
- Piajkoli/ Onion Stalks: 6
- Potato: 2
- Tomato: 1
- Garlic Paste: 1/2 Tsp.
- Green Chilli: 4
- Coriander leaves: a few
- Kalojire/ Kalonji/ Nigella Seed: 1/2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Salt: to Taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Making-Piajkoli-ar-Aloo-diye-Tangra-Macher-Jhol.jpg"][/url]
- Marinade fishes with half of the turmeric powder and salt.
- Peel the skin and cut the potatoes into wedges.
- Cut Tomato roughly and slit green Chillies.
- Discard both the ends of the Onion stalks and cut into 1" long strips.
- Now heat mustard Oil in a pan.
- Fry fishes from both side over the low flame and strain from the oil.
- Fry Potato wedges after sprinkling little turmeric powder and salt in the remaining oil.
- Now shallow-fry Piajkoli as well.
- Once fried strain the onion stalks also.
- Temper remaining oil with Nigella seed.
- Add Garlic paste, chopped tomatoes and also green chili followed by salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and cook unlit everything mixes and there is no raw aroma.
- Now add 2 cups full of water and bring it to boil.
- Add fried potatoes and cook until potatoes are well-cooked.
- Now add fried fish and also the fried Piajkoli and cook for five minutes on low flame.
- Add a few pieces of coriander leaves and mix lightly and cover the pan with a lid so that the gravy can absorb the aroma of coriander leaves.
- Switch the flame off and serve Piajkoli ar Aloo diye Tangra Macher Jhol with steamed rice.
Use of Mustard oil is optional however it makes the curry more flavorful.
I prefer to use small to medium sized fish to make this dish.
Adjust Chilli according to taste.
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 337
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 1093mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 27.3g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Cholesterol: 30mg