Cooking Bengali-style Mutton Curry in a pressure cooker is an easy recipe for beginners to try. It is a flavorful dish known as Aloo diye Mangshor Jhol that is sure to be a delight.
- 500g Mutton (Curry cut with a few chunks of liver and fat extra)
- 3 big or 5 medium Potatoes
- 3 big or 5 medium Onions
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 6 Green Chili
- 100g Plain curd
- 5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Ghee
Whole Spices for Tempering
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 4 Dried Red Chilies
- 1-inch Cinnamon stick
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 2 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
Easy Bengali Mangshor Jhol Recipe
- Wash and pat dry mutton pieces along with liver and fat.
- Marinate mutton chunks with 2 Tbsp. Mustard oil and half of Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Bengali Garam Masala Powder, Sugar and Salt along with the curd.
- Meanwhile, peel the skin of the potatoes and cut them into halves.
- Sprinkle a little salt and turmeric powder over the potatoes and coat.
- Finely chop the onions.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and start frying the potatoes.
- Once properly fried and golden in color strain those from the oil.
- Temper the oil with Bay leaf, dried red chili, cinnamon stick, and also green Cardamom.
- Add the rest of the sugar and cook till it caramelizes.
- Add chopped onion and fry till those turn translucence in color.
- Now add Ginger and garlic paste and also sliced green chili and cook till the raw aroma of spices goes away.
- Add the rest of the Chili powder, coriander powder, and also cumin powder followed by sugar and salt, and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Now add marinated mutton chunks along with the marinade to the cooker and mix everything.
- Keep the flame low and cook for around 7-8 minutes by vigorous stirring.
- Meanwhile, boil 5 cups of water.
- Now place the fried potatoes over the meat and start adding boiling water to the cooker till the water covers both meat and potatoes.
- Put the lid on and place the vent weight as well.
- Keep the flame low and wait till one whistle comes out.
- Now increase the flame to medium and wait till at least 5 more whistles come out.
- Switch the flame off and open the lid once the pressure drops completely.
- Sprinkle Bengali Garam Masala Powder and add Ghee and give the curry a mix.
- Serve it hot with piping-hot steamed rice.
- Adjust chili as per taste.
- You may skip Ghee completely.
- If using lean meat, you may reduce the cooking time a bit.
- Never add cold or water at room temperature while cooking mutton.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 598
- Sugar: 9.7g
- Sodium: 744mg
- Fat: 31.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 38.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 40.6g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
Keywords: Mangshor Jhol, Bengali Mangshor Jhol, Bengali Mutton Curry