Plastic Chutney is Bengali Chutney cooked with Raw Papaya.
- 1 Raw Papaya (Medium size)
- 10 Cashew Nut
- 15 Raisin
- 3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 100g Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron/ Bengali Five spices
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Peel the Papaya skin and after discarding the seeds cut it into thin rectangular or square pieces.
- Please refer to the picture for the size and shape of the Papaya.
- soak the papaya in water for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat Oil in a pan and temper the oil with Panch Phoron and Dry Red Chili.
- Now add chopped Papaya followed by salt and give a light mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- The Papaya will release sufficient moisture and hence no need to add water.
- Once the papaya pieces are soft enough add Cashew Nut and Raisin to it and mix lightly.
- Now add Sugar and cook till it dissolves completely.
- Add Lemon juice and cook till the gravy thickens a bit and the papaya pieces turn translucent or semi-transparent.
- Switch the flame off and wait for the Chutney to cool down.
- Serve it after the meal along with Papor Bhaja!
- You may increase or decrease the sugar based on how sweet you want your chutney to be. We prefer it moderately sweet and balanced with other flavorings.
- You may substitute Mustard oil with vegetable oil, however, I like the pungent smell of it.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Chutney
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 120g
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 44.4g
- Sodium: 158mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Bengali Plastic Chutney Recipe, Peper Chutney recipe, bengali chutney recipe, debjanir rannaghar