Rosogollar Dalna is a side dish prepared with Rosogolla aka Rasgulle in a Bengali style gravy. This dish is almost similar to Bengali Chanar Dalna.
- Rosogolla/ Rasgulla: 10
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tbsp.
- Poppy Seed: 2 Tbsp.
- Cashew nut: 10
- Milk: 1 Cup
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Vegetable Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 2 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chilli: 2
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Asafoetida: 1/2 Tsp.
- Cumin Seed: 1/2 Tsp.
- Cinnamon Stick: 1"
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Black Cardamom: 1
- Clove: 3-4
- Squeeze the Rosogollas and discard the Sugar syrup as shown in the picture.
- Now soak the Rosogollas in a bowl full of water for 2 minutes and squeeze again to discard the liquid
- This step will help to remove the sweetness from the Rosogolla.
- In the meantime, soak Poppy seed and Cashewnut in lukewarm water for 10 minutes.
- Make a thick paste of Poppy Seed and Cashewnut.
- Make a puree of Tomatoes as well.
- Heat Oil in a pan and shallow fry the Rosogolla one by one.
- Once done, temper remaining oil with Dry Red Chilli, Bay Leaf, Asafoetida, Cumin Seed, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, and Clove.
- Add Pureed Tomatoes followed by the ginger paste and cook till oil comes out from the side of the mixture.
- Add Salt, Chili Powder, Cumin powder as well.
- Now add the Poppyseed and Cashewnut paste and cook till the nutty and raw aroma goes out.
- At this point, add the milk followed by 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Now add fried Rosogolla and cover the pan with a lid and cook for around 5-7 minutes in low temperature.
- Adjust the gravy as per requirement.
- Add Ghee and Bengali Garam Masala Powder and lightly mix and switch off the flame.
- Serve Rosogollar Dalna With your choice of Bread or rice.
Squeezing part is very important while cooking this dish else you will end on making an overly sweet side dish.
I don't use sugar while cooking this dish. For us the remaining sweetness from Rosogolla works, however, you may add if you wish to.
You may reduce the amount of Ghee.
Instead of Vegetable oil, mustard oil also can be used.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 5.5g
- Sodium: 668mg
- Fat: 15.4g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Protein: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 10mg