Pui Chingri Ghonto aka Malabar Spinach Mishmash with Prawns (with Potato and Pumpkin) is a Bengali-style mishmash prepared with Greens and Prawns.
- 250g Medium Sized Prawns (cleaned and deveined)
- 1 bunch Pui Saag/ Malabar Spinach
- 3 Potato
- 200g Pumpkin
- 1 Tomato
- 2 Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 3-4 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Panch Phoron Powder/ Bengali Five Spices Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron/ Bengali Five Spices
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- Wash and clean the Prawns keeping the tail intact.
- Marinate prawns with 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder, and Salt.
- Wash Malabar Spinach aka Pui Saag several times under running water and cut the stems into long strips.
- Cut the leaves roughly.
- Peel the potato skin and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Peel the skin of the Pumpkin and cut it into small cubes as well.
- Cut Onion and tomato roughly.
- Now heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry the Prawns and strain from the oil.
- Now Fry the Potatoes as well till those turn golden brown in color.
- Temper remaining oil with Dry Red Chili and Panch Phoron.
- Add Onion and fry till those turn translucent. Don't fry onions much.
- Now add chopped tomato, ginger and garlic paste, and green chili and cook till the raw aroma of the veggies oozes out.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Panch Phoron Powder, Sugar, and Salt and mix thoroughly.
- At this point add the Malabar Spinach, fried potatoes, and Pumpkin and give a thorough mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook till the veggies soften on low flame.
- The Greens will release moisture which will be enough to cook the dish. No need to add extra water.
- Once done, add friend prawns and again cover the pan and cook for 5 more minutes.
- The end product should be a little mussy.
- Add 1 Tsp. of Mustard oil to finish the dish.
- Serve it hot with Steamed Rice and Daal.
- Panch Phoron Powder is optional, however, gives both aroma and flavor to the dish.
- You may substitute mustard oil with vegetable oil, however, Mustard oil gives the perfect punch to the dish.
- You may skip Sugar.
- Pumpkin can be skipped.
- Last but not the least, instead of Prawns Shrimps can also be used.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Sodium: 584mg
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 26.7g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Protein: 13.9g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: pui chingri ghonto, pui chingri chorchori, bengali chingri mach recipe, prawn recipe, prawn curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar