Nona Ilish Bhorta
Nona Ilish Bhorta is a Bangladeshi Fish Mash prepared with Salted Hilsa Fish aka Nona Ilish.
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 5 People 1x
- Category: Fish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 5 pieces Nona Ilish/ Dried Hilsa Fish (around 500g)
- 5 Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Chopped Garlic (optional)
- 6 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice (optional)
- If using a whole fish, cut it into medium size pieces.
- Soak* the Nona Ilish pieces in a bowl full of water for around 30 minutes.
- Remove the fish scales.
- Wash the fishes again in fresh water.
- Chop Onion roughly.
- Heat the Mustard oil in a pan.
- Fry Onion till those turn brown.
- Add Ginger and Garlic paste and cook till oil comes out from the mixture.
- Now add chopped Garlic and chopped Green chili followed by Coriander powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili, and powder.
- Add thee Cups of water and wait till the mixture starts boiling.
- Now add fish chunks and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low flame till the liquid evaporates and the fish turn mushy.
- Adjust the salt and cook till oil comes out from the mixture.
- Finish the dish with 1 Tsp. of Mustard Oil.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. of Lemon Juice before serving the Nona Ilish Bhorta.
- You must soak the fish in water for around 30 minutes. Nona Ilish is preserved with salt and hence soaking is the option to discard excess Salt.
- Check the salt level before adding salt while cooking.
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 842mg
- Fat: 21.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 66.3g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
Keywords: nona ilish, hilsa fish recipe, nona ilish recipe, debjanir rannaghar, bengali recipe
Recipe Card powered by