Charapona Macher Jhol, also known as Charapona Macher Kabiraji Jhol, is a delicately flavored stew that is made from small freshwater fish and vegetables.
- 6 Baby Rohu/ Charapona Mach/ Small freshwater fish (whole fish)
- 3 Potato/ Aloo
- 5 Broad Bean/ Shim
- 1 Raw Banana/ Kacha Kola
- 1 Eggplant/ Begun / Baingan (Medium size)
- 2 Pointed Gourd/ Poto/ Parwal
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 5 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice (optional)
- First, clean the fish and marinate it with turmeric powder and salt for 10 minutes.
- Then, mix cumin powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder, and mustard oil to make a thick paste.
- Peel and cut potatoes, raw banana, eggplant, pointed gourd, broad beans, and tomato into long strips.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish on low flame. Shallow fry the potatoes, raw banana, pointed gourd, broad beans, and eggplant separately.
- Add ginger paste and tomato to the remaining oil in the pan and cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the spice paste and salt, and cook on low flame.
- Finally, add all the fried veggies except for the pointed gourd and eggplant.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the fried fish, fried pointed gourd, and fried eggplant and continue to cook on low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- After turning off the heat, add in some lemon juice.
- Serve the Charapona Macher Jhol hot with steamed rice.
- When preparing Macher Jhol, feel free to incorporate other vegetables that are in season or readily available.
- Adding lemon juice is not necessary, but it enhances the taste of the dish.
- Adjust the amount of spices used according to your personal preference.
- In my recipe, I substitute a bit more black pepper powder and coriander powder for the amounts specified.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 359
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 664mg
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 49.6g
- Fiber: 13.9g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: Charapona Mach recipe, baby fish curry recipe, charapona macher jhol recipe, charapona macher kabiraji jhol recipe, debjanir rannaghar