Aam Kasundi is a Bengali style Mango and Mustard Sauce/ spread prepared with green Mangoes, Mustard seeds, mustard oil, and garlic. This is a no-preservative recipe
- 500g Green Mango
- 50g Black Mustard Seed
- 50g Yellow Mustard Seed
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Green Chili
- 100ml Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Wash the Mustard seeds and sundry for 2 days. There must not be any moisture.
- Wash the Mangoes and dry those using a kitchen towel.
- Peel the skin and cut the mangoes into small pieces. discard seeds.
- Now sprinkle half of the salt over the mangoes and put those over a perforated bowl for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes the Mangoes will start releasing the moisture. That liquid is to be discarded as well.
- Take Mangoes along with both types of Mustard, Green Chili, and Garlic in a Mixer grinder and make a coarse paste.
- If required make the paste in two or three batches.
- Once done, take the paste in a big "Earthen Pot" and pour mustard oil over the paste.
- Add sugar and salt as well and using a dry spoon mix everything.
- Now cover the pot with a clean cloth and keep it in the room for 7 days.
- You do not need to place the same under direct sunlight.
- After seven days, open the cloth and transfer the Aam Kasundi in a sterilized Jar.
- Keep it in the refrigerator. This is to be consumed within one month of making.
Use of Garlic is optional however, it gives amazing flavor to the Kasundi.
You can adjust the green Chillies depending on how hot you want your Kasundi to be.
Sugar not only enhances the flavor but helps the Kasundi to ferment.
You can reduce the amount of Mustard Oil as well.
The Earthen Pot helps the Kasundi to mature. This is optional but needed. It helps to absorb the moisture as well.
Last but not the least, there must not be unnecessary moisture as that will reduce the self-life.
- Category: Pickle
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 8.9g
- Sodium: 258mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg