A comforting, light curry prepared with potato and omelette chunks, Omelette er Torkari is a Bengali delicacy.
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk (optional)
- 4 Potatoes
- 3 Onions
- 1 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1.5 Tsp. Garlic Paste
- 2 Tomato
- 4 Green Chili
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tsp. Panch Phoron / Bengali Five Spices (for tempering)
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Soak potatoes in water in order to avoid the blackening of the potatoes.
- Cut Onion and Tomato into slices or make a puree of the tomatoes.
- Now beat the eggs along with 1/2 Tsp. of salt, 2 chopped green chilies, 1/3 of the onion and milk to make the Omelette batter.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of Oil in a pan and pour the egg batter. Don't spread the batter much as the omelette must be at least 2' thick and pillowy.
- Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes and slit in between the omelette to spread the liquid equally.
- The end result must be a fluffy and thick omelette.
- Take the omelette out of the pan and cut into big chunks (3"/2").
- Now heat rest of the Oil fry the potatoes till those turn golden.
- Strain from the oil and keep aside.
- Temper rest of the oil with panch phoron and add chopped onions.
- Fry till the chopped onions turn translucent in color.
- Add Tomato puree (or chopped tomato) followed by the ginger and garlic paste.
- Cook for around 5 minutes in low flame and add little water while cooking.
- Cook till the oil comes out from the mixture.
- Now add Turmeric powder, Salt, Red chili powder and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring the mixture to boil.
- Add fried potato wedges and cook for 5 minutes by covering the pan in low flame.
- Now add Omelette chunks and cook for a minute or two.
- Serve the Omelette er Torkaro or Mamlette er Torkari hot with steamed rice.
You can adjust the number of eggs based on availability and requirement.
I don't use many spices while making the curry and opt for the Bengali five spices as tempering.
You can use Deshi Dim (country egg) or Haser Dim (duck egg) if you wish to.
You can substitute the milk with two tbsp. of water.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Sodium: 580mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 37.3g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 200mg
Keywords: Omelette er torkari, mamlet er torkari, debjanir rannaghar