Pandi curry a.k.a Coorgi Pork a.k.a Kodava style pork is a rich, spicy, semi-dry pork preparation from the Coorg region of Karnataka. This dish is characterized by the use of Kachampuli which is a souring agent invented by the Coorgis.
- 500g Pork
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Red chili powder
- 1/4 Tsp. Mustard seeds
- 7 Curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Coorgi spice Powder (see details below)
- 1/2 cup Pork stock
- 1 Tbsp. Coorgi Spice Paste (see details below)
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric extract
- 4-5 cups Water
- 1 Tsp. Kachampuli
- 1 Tsp. Salt to taste
Coorgi Spice Powder
- 1 Tsp. Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 Tsp. Pepper
Coorgi Spice Paste
- 3 Small onions, quartered
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 7 Cloves
- 12 Curry leaves
- 4-5 Small green chilies
- 1/2 bunch of Coriander leaves
- 1/2 Tsp. Oil
To make the Coorgi Spice Powder:
- Take a pan, and put it on slow flame.
- Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and pepper.
- Mix all the seeds well. Roast them, till it changes color.
- Once roasted, let them cool for a while.
- Powder the cooled mixture and use it as a masala. Keep the ready masala/ spice powder aside.
To make the Coorgi masala paste:
- Heat a pan on a slow flame. Add onion, ginger, cloves, curry leaves, and small green chilies.
- Cook until the onions turn golden brown.
- Once cooked, add a handful of coriander leaves and oil so that the ingredients don't stick to each other.
- Mix and remove from heat. Now grind this paste nicely. Keep aside.
To make Pandi Curry:
- Add oil to a pan. When it heats up, add mustard seeds, and curry leaves and let them sizzle. Then add the Coorgi Masala masala paste and mix well.
- Then add half a cup of water, masala, half cup of pork stock, Turmeric Powder, and red chili powder.
- Once fried, add pork, turmeric extract, Kachampuli, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add 4-5 cups of water. Cover the pan and cook it until the pork turn tender.
- Once cooked garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Pork
- Cuisine: South Indian
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 398
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 414mg
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 6.3g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 60.4g
- Cholesterol: 162mg