Traditional Scottish Dundee Cake is a light Fruit cake variety that does not require soaking the dry fruits in alcohol for months and is ideal for last minute Christmas Baking
- All-Purpose Flour: 225g (1 and a half Cup)
- Baking Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Egg: 4
- White Butter: 175g
- Brown Sugar: 150g
- Candied Peel (Orange and Lemon): 50g
- Raisin: 100g
- Currents: 100g
- Sultana: 100g
- Glazed Cherries: 50g
- Whiskey: 4 Tbsp.
- Orange Juice: 4 Tbsp.
- Almond: 100g
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Castor Sugar: 1 Tbsp
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Making-Dundee-Cake.jpg"][/url]
- Take Almonds in a bowl and pour boiling water over the almonds and cover the bowl for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes take the almonds out and rub using your hands to peel the skin.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Line a Round cake tin with Parchment paper.
- Sift Baking Powder and Flour together twice.
- Take Butter at room temperature in a bowl and start beating it to cream.
- Add Brown Sugar and beat till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now add Eggs one by one and mix using the beater.
- Start incorporating the Flour into three batches and mix lightly following cut and fold method.
- Now add Candid Peel (Orange and Lemon), Raisin, Currents, Sultana, Glazed Cherries, Whiskey, Orange Juice and mix.
- The mixture should be of pouring consistency.*
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake the Cake for 45 minutes on 150 decree C and take it out of the oven.
- Decorate the top of the cake with Blanched Almonds in a way to create a floral design.
- Again bake the cake at 150 degrees C or on the lowest temperature of your oven for 1 hour or till the cake browned from the top and cooked from inside.
- Take the cake out of the oven.
- Boil the Milk along with the Castor Sugar.and brush the cake with the mixture.
- Bake the cake again for 2-3 minutes at 180 Degree C and take it out of the oven.
- Cool the Dundee cake on the wire rack and cover it with Parchment paper and wait for 2-3 days before serving it.
If you want to make Alcohol free version of the Dundee cake, just replace Whiskey with an equal amount of Orange Juice.
If not available replace Sultana with the equal quantity of Current.
Baking time varies with Oven to Oven, keep that in consideration while baking the cake.
This cake requires slow baking.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Category: Cake