Tel Koi is a traditional Bengali fish curry that is made with "Koi Mach" or Climbing Perch, a fresh-water fish.
- 8 Koi Mach / Koi Fish
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 4 Green Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 4 Dry Red Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Kalojire/ Kalonji/ Nigella Seed
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- Tel Koi is prepared with whole Fish. Hence the use of processed whole Koi Mach is what we need to do!
- Take Ginger Paste, Tomato Paste, Cumin Powder, and 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Sugar, and Salt along with 1 Tsp. of Oil and mix those to make a paste.
- Wash Koi Mach and marinate with 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric powder and Salt and also a few drops of mustard oil and leave the marinated fish for 30 minutes.
- Now heat 3 Tbsp. Oil in a deep pan and sprinkle a little salt and turmeric powder to the oil
- Fry the fish from both sides lightly.
- Strain fish from Oil.
- Now temper the remaining oil with Nigella Seed and Dry red Chilli and keep the flame low.
- Add the spice paste and start cooking on low flame for around 5 minutes or till the spices start leaving the edge of the pan.
- Add slit Green Chili as well.
- The spice paste will release oil once properly cooked.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add fried Koi Mach and cook until the gravy thickens.
I don't add Onion and Garlic in Tel Koi, which is optional.
A few Cilantro leaves can be added for flavor.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 927mg
- Fat: 24.1g
- Saturated Fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrates: 24.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
Keywords: tel koi recipe, koi mach recipe, debjanir rannaghar, bengali fish recipe