A very easy recipe for Nepali Dum Aloo or Darjeeling style Dum Aloo; a potato-based spicy side dish from Nepal
- Potato: 1 Kg
- Tomato: 4
- Garlic: 20 Cloves
- Dry Red Chili: 4+ 1
- Dry Kashmiri Red Chili: 2
- Panch Phoron/ Bengali 5 Spices" 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to Taste
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/making-Nepali-Aloo-Dum.jpg"][/url]
- Wash the Potatoes under running water.
- Take Potatoes along with water in a pressure cooker and cover the same with a lid with the whistle on.
- Cook on high flame till the pressure builds.
- Reduce the flame and switch the stove off after two whistles come out.
- Open the Lid once the pressure drops completely.
- Now Peel the skin off the Potatoes.
- I have used Baby Potatoes and hence didn't cut those into pieces.
- In case using normal potatoes cut those into halves after boiling.
- Make a puree of the Tomatoes.
- Soak both the Chilis in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Make a paste of the Chillies (4 Red Chili and 2 Kashmiri Red Chili) with the Garlic.
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Temper the oil with one Red chili and Panch Phoron.
- Add Tomato Puree and cook until the aroma of tomato goes.
- Now add Chili garlic paste and cook on low flame until oil comes out from the mixture.
- Add Salt to the mixture.
- Now pierce the potatoes using a fork and add those to the mixture.
- Using a spatula coat the potatoes with the spice and cook on low flame for around 5 minutes.
- Take one potato out and after massing it add to the pan again
- Add a cup of water and cook on low flame till the water reduces completely and oil comes out from the Nepali Dum Aloo.
- Serve it hot with your choice of Bread or Rice.
Cooking Tips by Debjani:
Panch Phoron: a mixture of Fennel Seed, Mustard Seed, Cumin Seed, Fenugreek Seed and Nigella Seed.
You can increase or decrease the quantity of Chili depending on how hot you want your Nepali Dum Aloo or Darjeeling style Dum Aloo to be.
I don't add any spice powder apart from Turmeric and Chili while making this dish.
Tomato Puree can be replaced with chopped Tomato.
If not available Whole Kashmiri Chili can be replaced with normal Red Chili.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Nepali
- Serving Size: 5 People
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Sodium: 1410mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 3.4g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 10mg