Awadhi Vegetable Tehri or Tahiri
Vegetable Tehri is a rice dish having its origin in Uttar Pradesh prepared with flavored rice, spices, and veggies. The use of mustard oil makes it different and so does the use of veggies!
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 3-4 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Awadhi
- 300g Long Grain Basmati Rice (2 Cup)
- 2 Potato
- 1/2 cup Green Pea
- 1 Cauliflower
- 1 Carrot
- 3 French Beans
- 2 Onion
- 1 Tsp. Ginger paste
- 1.2 Tsp. Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chili
- 100g Sour Curd (1/2 Cup)
- 2 Red Chili
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 2 Whole Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Clove
- 10 Black Peppercorn
- 1/2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash the long-grain Rice under running water until the starch from the rice goes away.
- Now soak the rice in water for 30 minutes and then discard the water and keep the rice aside for 15 minutes before using.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Separate the Cauliflower into medium size florets.
- Cut french bean into long strips and after peeling the skin cut Carrot into cubes.
- Finely chop Onions.
- Now heat Mustard Oil in a deep bottom vessel and temper the oil with Red Chili, Bay Leaf, Black Cardamom, Green Cardamom, Whole Cinnamon Stick, Clove, and Black Peppercorn.
- Add chopped Onion and fry until the Onions are brown.
- Add Ginger and garlic paste and cook for a minute.
- Now add Potatoes followed by the carrot and cook on medium flame.
- Add Green Peas, French Beans, and Cauliflower as well and mix well.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also Salt.
- Now add Green Chillies as well.
- At this point add Sour curd and cook till the oil separates from the mixture.
- Add Rice and thoroughly mix everything.
- At this point add around 3 cups of water and after giving a thorough mix cover the vessel with a lid.
- Cook on low flame for around 15 minutes and check in between.
- Depending on the quality of the rice, Vegetable Tehri will be cooked within 15 to 25 minutes.
- Checking in between is just to avoid lumping the rice.
- Once properly cooked mix in Garam Masala Powder and serve Vegetable Tehri with your choice of side such as Raita.
- You can Skip Carrots, Beans, and Cauliflower, however, those make Tehri more nutritious and tasty.
- You can skip Curd or add Tomatoes to balance the flavors.
- I don't prefer using mint leaves, however, can be added.
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 592
- Sugar: 6.8g
- Sodium: 660mg
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 103.4g
- Fiber: 19.9g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Vegetable Tehri Recipe, Awadhi Tehri Recipe, veg pulao recipe, veg rice recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by