Bori Begun Aloo diye Ilish Macher Tel Jhol is a comforting fish curry prepared with Hilsa, Potato chunks, Aubergine, and Bori and is a famous Bengali delicacy
- Ilish Mach/ Hilsa Fish: 8-10 Pieces ( around 75-100g each)
- Potato: 2
- Aubergine: 1
- Onion: 1
- Tomato: 1
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 2 Tsp.
- Green Chili: 4-5
- Bori / Vadi: 10-15
- Dry Red Chili: 1
- Onion Seed/ Kalojire / Kalonjee: 1/2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://cdn1.kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/4-2.jpg"][/url]
- Wash Ilish chunks and sprinkle some Turmeric Powder and salt and rub.
- Now cut the Potatoes after peeling the skin into Edges.
- Cut the Aubergine / Begun into long strips as well.
- Cut the Onion and Tomatoes into long strips too.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of the Mustard Oil in a wok and lightly fry Ilish Mach and strain from the oil.
- Now fry Potato chunks till those turn golden yellow in color.
- Rub some salt and turmeric powder to the Aubergine and fry those in the remaining oil.
- Now fry "Bori" until those turn light brown in color in the remaining oil.
- Once done, pour 1 Tbsp. Oil and temper the Oil with Red Chili and slit green chili along with Kalojire / Onion Seed.
- Now add chopped onion and fry the same till onion turn translucent in color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes and cook till tomatoes soften and oil separates from the mixture.
- Add a little water and followed by Salt and turmeric powder and cook till water evaporates.
- Now add fried veggies and 2 cups full of water and bring it to boil.
- Now add Fried fish chunks and cook for 5 minutes after covering the pan with a lid.
- Add Fried Bori and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle 1/2 Tsp. of Mustard oil over the Begun, Aloo Bori diye Ilish Macher Jhol and switch the flame off.
- Serve Bori Begun Aloo diye Ilish Macher Tel Jhol (Ilish Macher Tel Jhol) hot with steamed rice.
You can skip Onion, ginger, and garlic.
You can add little cumin and coriander powder, however, I don't add any spice apart from Turmeric Powder and Salt.
Little Chili Powder can also be added.
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali