Kolkata Style Chicken Bharta, where chicken strips are cooked in a rich gravy and served with boiled egg
- 1 Kg Boneless Chicken
- 5 Egg
- 1 Tomato
- 4 Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 5-6 Green Chili
- 2 Tbsp. Cashew nut Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Char Magaj (Melon Seed) Paste
- 100ml Hung Curd
- 50ml Fresh Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 3 Tbsp. Refined Oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Tsp. Kasuri Methi
- 1 Red Chili
- 4 Clove
- 1" Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Punjabi Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Chicken Tandoori Masala
- 1.5 Tsp. Salt or to taste
Perfect Kolkata-style Chicken Bharta Recipe
- Wash boneless chicken cubes and boil those with 1/2 tsp. of salt and water for 5-6 minutes and strain the water keep it separately.
- Leave half of the boiled chicken cubes as it is and cut strips out of the rest.
- Roughly chop Onion and Tomato
- Hard boil eggs and discard the shell of the boiled eggs.
- Take Oil in a deep bottom pan and temper the oil with Bay Leaf, Red Chili, Clove, Cinnamon Stick, and Kasuri Methi ( for the Kasuri Methi use 2/3 for tempering).
- Now add chopped onion and fry till the onion turns translucent in color.
- Add chopped tomatoes, ginger, and garlic paste and slip green chili and cook till oil separates from the mixture.
- Now add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Chicken Tandoori Masala, Sugar, and Salt to taste and cook for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Add Cashew nut Paste, Char Magaj Paste, Hung Curd, and Fresh Cream and cook till the nutty aroma as well as the smell of curd emits completely.
- At this point add both boiled chicken cubes and chicken strips and mix thoroughly and cook in low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the water that was used for boiling the chicken and after covering the pan with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or till you reach the desired consistency.
- Take three boiled eggs and separate the yolk and mash it and roughly cut the Egg white into long strips.
- Add both the mashed yolk and Egg white to the Chicken Bharta and give it a thorough mix.
- Now add butter, rest of the Kasuri Methi and Punjabi Garam Masala, and mix.
- Cut the rest of the eggs into halves and lightly fold with the gravy.
- Serve Chicken Bharta with Roti, Naan, or Paratha.
Tandoori Chicken Masala is optional however, it gives amazing flavor to the bharta.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Kolkata-style Chicken Bharta recipe, chicken bharta recipe, chicken bhorta recipe, debjanir rannaghar, debjani chatterjee alam recipes