Chingri Shutki Bhorta | Dried Prawn Paste
A traditional Bengali Prawn paste recipe originally from Bangladesh, Chingri Shutki Bhorta is the perfect companion for Steamed rice
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 5 People 1x
- Category: Fish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 250g Chingri Shutki/ Dried Prawn (small size)
- 4 Onion
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 3-4 Green Chili
- 3 Dried Red Chilli
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- Clean dried prawns properly before cooking.
- Wash under running water for 2-3 times followed by washing the shrimps in a bowl full of water.
- Now strain water from the prawns using your hand; as much as you can.
- Chop onions roughly.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry half of the onion crisply to make "Piyaj Beresta" (fried crisp Onion). Leave those aside.
- Now in the same oil fry, two dried Red chilies with the stem on for a minute or till the chilies change color.
- Strain fried chilies from the oil and leave aside.
- Now add washed dried prawns in the remaining oil.
- Start sauteing till water evaporates completely and the prawns started emitting aroma.
- Add remaining chopped onion, ginger and garlic paste and 2-3 green chilies.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes in low flame.
- Cook till the prawns along with onion cooked properly after adding salt.
- Now switch the flame off and give the fried prawn a rest of at least 15 minutes.
- Take cooked prawns along with fried onion, fried red chili and a dash of lemon juice along with little mustard oil in a mixer grinder.
- Make a smooth paste of it.
- Instead of mixer grinder, traditional "Shil Nora" or Shil Batta" can also be used.
- You can serve the Shutki Chingri Bhorta or Dried Prawn Paste as it is with rice. Else
- you can make small balls out of the paste like I did.
- Serve it with steamed rice with a side of green chili and a piece of lemon.
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 513mg
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated Fat: 0.9g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: shutki chingri bhorta recipe, prawn paste recipe, dried prawn recipe, bengali bhorta recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by