A very easy yet, tasty heirloom recipe of Mutton Handi Kebab. I have adapted the recipe from a small-town Kebab shop in West Bengal
- Mutton with Fat: 1 kg
- Onion: 400g
- Garlic: 20-25 pods
- Ginger: 2"
- Papaya skin and gum/ glue: 2 Tbsp. (see notes)
- Fresh Mint: 10-12 leaves to make a paste
- Dried Red Chili: 4-6
- Green Chili: 2-3
- Lemon Juice: 3 Tbsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Dry Roasted Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 5 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Fresh Cream: 3 Tbsp.
- Wash and pat dry the Mutton pieces. There should not be any water.[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Edited2-1.jpg"][/url]
- Take a Papaya and cut a slit on the stem to extract the gum from it.
- Grate the skin of the papaya.
- Take around 2 tbsp. of Papaya skin along with the gum extracted already and 1 Tsp. of salt as well. Mix those properly.
- Make a paste of the Onions, ginger and also 15 Garlic pods separately.
- Dry Roast the Dried red chilies along with 6- Garlic pods.
- Make a paste of the roasted chili and garlic pods as well.
- Take Mutton chunks in a big bowl and rub the Papaya skin mixture until the mutton turns a bit sticky.
- Now pour half of the Mustard Oil, red chili, roasted garlic-ginger paste, and mint paste as well over the meat.
- Extract the juice of the onions and pour the onion juice over mutton.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Dry Roasted Cumin Powder, and also Bengali Garam Masala Powder and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and refrigerate the mutton overnight.
- At the time of cooking take the mutton out of the fridge.
- Add lemon juice and salt as required and mix thoroughly.
- Take a deep bottom thick vessel or Handi.
- Rub Ghee inside the utensil and then heat remaining Mustard Oil.
- Pour the mutton chunks along with the marinade.
- Start slow cooking after adding slit green chilies by covering the pan for around 1.5 hours.
- Check in between and stir using a spatula as and when required and cook till the mutton soften.
- Once the mutton is done completely, add fresh cream and mix thoroughly and switch the flame off.
- Serve Mutton Handi Kebab hot with your choice of bread.[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DSC_0118.jpg"][/url]
The Papaya skin and the gum/ glue (the white extract) worked as a tendering agent and helps to soften the meat.
Roasted Chili Paste is responsible for giving the nutty aroma to the Mutton Handi Kebab
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Category: Mutton
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Sodium: 403mg
- Fat: 23.3g
- Saturated Fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrates: 12.5g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Cholesterol: 120mg