Khejur Gurer Payesh aka Patali Gurer Payesh is a seasonal dessert. This is a Rice Kheer cooked with Date Palm Jaggery aka Khejur gur.
- 1 Litre Full Cream Milk
- 500ml skimmed milk
- 500ml Water
- 150g Gobindobhog Rice
- 300g Khejur Gur/ Date Palm Jaggery
- 25g Cashew Nut
- 25g Raisin
- 2 Black Cardamom or 5 Green Cardamom
- 2 Bay leaf
- Wash and soak rice, cashew nut, and raisin in water separately for 15 minutes.
- Take both types of Milk along with water in a deep bottom vessel.
- Let it cook on medium flame with Bay leaf and whole cardamom until boiling starts.
- Boil the milk till it reduces to approximately 1.5 liters.
- Add soaked rice to the milk and start cooking on low flame till rice softens.
- Stir in between to not allow anything to stick on the bottom of the pan.
- Now add Cashew Nut and Raisin and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When the rice is cooked properly add broken pieces of Khejur Gur (or melted Gur) to the Payesh.
- Using a ladle mix properly and continue cooking on low flame until desired consistency is reached.
- I prefer a little thick Payesh when I cook the same with Khejur Gur.
- Switch off the flame and cool the Payesh completely before serving.
- Khejur Gurer Payesh or Patali Gurer Payesh tastes better if served after a stand of one night. You need to store it in the fridge in case you are planning not to serve it immediately.
I prefer using a mixture of full cream milk and skimmed milk along with water. You can use only full-cream milk or skimmed milk.
- Prep Time: 5min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 603
- Sugar: 78.3g
- Sodium: 3103mg
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 106.8g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 15.6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Khejur gurer payesh recipe, patali gurer payesh recipe, rice kheer with Date palm jaggery recipe