Aloo Chingrir Shorshe Bata Diye Jhal, a light mustard based curry with Prawn and potato
- Medium sized Prawn: 250 g (cleaned, de-vein, and de-shelled)
- Potato: 3 (Medium size)
- Tomato: 2(Medium size)
- Green Chili: 4-5
- Mustard Seed: 2 Tbsp.
- Nigella Seed/ Kalojire: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp.
- Make a paste of Mustard Seed by adding little salt and water.
- Now mix a cup full of water with the Mustard Paste and using a strainer strain the liquid to discard the husk. Keep it aside.
- Peel Potatoes and cut into medium thick wedges and rub some turmeric Powder.
- Chop Tomatoes and slit green chilies.
- Wash and clean Prawns and de-shell and de-vein those.
- Rub clean Prawns with some Turmeric Powder and Salt and leave for 10 minutes.
- Heat Oil in a Pan and fry Potatoes in medium flame till potatoes soften.
- [url href="https://cdn1.kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Making-of-Aloo-Chingrir-Shorshe-bata-diye-Jhal.jpg"][/url]
- Strain fried potatoes from oil and keep fried potatoes aside.
- In the remaining oil fry Prawns in medium flame and remove from the oil.
- Now temper remaining oil with Nigella seed.
- Add chopped tomato and slit green chili to the tempering and cook for 2-3 minutes in medium flame till tomato softens.
- Now add Mustard paste to the tempering along with Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, and Salt.
- Add 2 Cup water and bring it to boil.
- Now add fried potato wedges and fried prawns to the curry
- Cook for around 6-7 minutes in low flame.
- Add water in between to adjust the level of curry.
- Aloo Chingrir Shorshe bata diye Jhal is typically served with the curry on the thinner side. However, you may adjust the level based on your preference.
- Drizzle some Mustard Oil before removing the curry from heat.
- Serve Aloo Chingrir Shorshe bata diye Jhal with hot steamed rice.
Use either a “ShilNora” (Shil Batta) or grinding jar of the food processor to make the mustard paste.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali