Fritters prepared with the petals of Pumpkin Flower; is a traditional Bengali fritter or Pakora known as Kumro Phuler Bora
- Kumro Phul / Pumpkin Flower: 12
- Bengal Gram Flour / Besan: 4 Tbsp.
- Rice Flour: 1 Tbsp.
- Poppy Seed / Posto / Khuskhus: 1 Tsp.
- Nigella Seed / Kalo Jeera / Kalaunji: 1/2 Tsp.
- Baking Soda: 1/4 Tsp.
- Chili Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Salt: 1/2 Tsp.
- Refined Vegetable Oil: For deep frying
- Wash Kumro Phul or Pumpkin Flower under running water.
- Using a knife (I have used a scissor) remove the sepal or the green part beneath the petals.
- Now give the flower a vertical slit and remove the stamen and pistil (male and female parts of the flower) from inside.
- Wash the joined petals lightly with water for further use.
- Following the process mentioned wash remaining flowers.
- Now take Besan, Rice Flour, Poppy Seed, Nigella Seed, Baking Soda, Chili Powder and Salt in a bowl and mix properly using a spoon.
- Keep a cup of water handy to make a thick batter.
- Add 4-5 Tbsp. of water to the mixture and start mixing with the spoon to make the batter and keep on adding water if required until a thick batter is formed.
- Now heat sufficient Refined vegetable oil in a pan.
- Coat a piece of pumpkin flower with the batter.
- Start frying in medium flame until the fritter turns golden brown from one side.
- Turn the fritter to other side and fry that side too.
- Following the process mentioned fry rest of the Pumpkin Flowers or Kumro Phul.
- I have fried 3-4 flowers in one go.
- Serve Kumro Phuler Bora or Pumpkin Flower Fritters hot with rice and Daal or have it with a cup of tea or Coffee.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali