Natun Aloor Dum or Bengali Niramish Dum Aloo with Baby Potato is a no onion no garlic gravy-based signature Bengali potato dish
- 750g Baby Potato/ Natun Aloo
- 2 Tomatoes
- 50g Fresh Green Peas (a handful)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- Asafoetida: 1/4 Tsp.
- 2 Dried Red Chili
- 3-4 Bay Leaf
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick
- 7-8 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 Tsp. Whole Cumin Seed
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp. Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- 1 Tsp. Salt (as per taste)
- 3 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee
- Make a paste of the tomatoes.
- Wash Baby Potatoes or Natun Aloo thoroughly under running water 2-3 times.
- Pressure Cook Baby Potatoes with the skin on with 1 Tsp. Salt on medium flame with the Vent weight on.
- Switch the flame off after three whistles come from the cooker and open the cooker when the pressure drops completely.
- Now discard the water and remove the skin from each potato.
- Using a fork pierce each of the potatoes.
- Now take Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, half of the Garam Masala Powder, Salt, and Sugar in a bowl.
- Add 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil and using a spoon mix the spices to make a thick paste.
- If required add 1 Tsp. water to the spice mix.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok.
- Temper the oil with Dried Red Chili, Bay Leaf, Whole Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, and Whole Cumin Seed.
- When the spices start emitting an aroma, mix asafoetida with 1 Tsp. of water and add to the tempering and mix properly.
- Now add Tomato paste to the tempering and cook on medium flame until tomatoes are cooked properly and leave the edges of the wok.
- Add the ginger paste and cook for one more minute.
- Now add previously prepared “Spice Paste” to the mixture and start cooking on low flame until oil comes from the mixture.
- Add a handful of green peas to the mixture and mix properly.
- At this stage add 3 cups of water to the mixture and mix thoroughly using a spatula.
- Check and adjust salt, sugar, and chili in this stage as per your taste if required.
- Now add boiled potatoes cover the pan with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes or till water dried completely.
- Add some Bengali Garam Masala Powder and Ghee and give Natun Aloor Dum a mix and switch the flame off.
- Serve hot Natun Aloor Dum with Karaisutir Kachuri or Luchi or Roti or serve it as it is with a cup of Tea.
- If Baby Potato or Natun Aloo is not available use Normal Potatoes to make this dish. Cut Potatoes into halves and make the Dum Aloo.
- If you like the taste of Cilantro add a few chunks of it to give added flavor to the dish.
- Prep Time: 15min
- Cook Time: 30min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
Keywords: Notun Aloor Dum recipe, niramish aloor dum recipe, bengali aloor dum recipe, debjanir rannaghar