Lal Shak Bhaja is a tasty Saag dish that is simple to make. It is a stir-fry that is cooked with Red Amaranth (also known as Laal Saag), Peanuts, and Posto dana.
- 350g Lal/ Shak/ Laal Shag/ Red Amaranth Leaves / Red Spinach (1 Bunch)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Posto dana /Poppyseed
- 20g Peanut (handful)
- 2 Dry Red Chili
- 3-4 Garlic Clove
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Wash Laal Shag thoroughly under running water.
- Chop the leaves roughly.
- Take Shag in a microvan safe bowl and cook it for 1 minute in High. If not available with a Microwave oven, then just put Shag in a bowl of boiled water for 5 minutes and drain the water completely after that and use it. This is completely optional if you are sure the Saag is good to use.
- Take Oil in a deep bottom pan and heat properly.
- Fry Whole Peanuts for 2 minutes in medium flame and strain from the oil.
- Temper remaining Oil with dried Red Chili and Poppy Seed and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add freshly crushed Garlic and give the tempering a thorough mix.
- Now add chopped Red Amaranth to the tempering.
- At this point add salt and fried Peanuts too.
- Give the Shag a proper mix using a spatula.
- You will see water coming from the Shag after 1-2 minutes.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Cook till the water evaporated completely.
- Open the lid and stir continuously for 2 more minutes or till the Shag dried completely.
- Take stir-fried Laal Shag Bhaja out in a bowl and serve hot with steamed rice.
- I prefer to wash Laal Saag 3-4 times before cooking.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 50g
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 674mg
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 6.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Lal Shag Bhaja recipe, Red Amaranthus recipe, Debjanir Rannaghar, Bengali vegan recipe