Nolen Gurer Sandesh is a famous Bengali sweet fudge prepared with Nolen Gur or Date Palm Jaggery and fresh Cottage Cheese
- Full-Fat Milk: 2 Litre
- Lemon Juice: 2 Tbsp.
- Date Palm Jaggery/ Nolen Gur: 8 Tbsp. (grated)
- Pistachios: 12-14
- Ghee: 1 Tsp.
Curdling the milk and Making of Chana:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Chanar-Dalna-collage-300x240.jpg"][/url]
- Mix Lemon Juice with ½ cup of lukewarm water.
- Take milk in a deep bottom vessel and bring it to boil for around 7-8 minutes in medium flame.
- Switch the flame off and start mixing the Lemon water with the milk.
- Using a spatula mix Lemon water properly with the milk.
- At this point, milk will start separating into Chana or cottage Cheese and water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and leave it for 5 minutes.
- After five minutes open the lid and using a strainer discard the water from the Cottage Cheese.
- Don’t wash Chana after separating from the water as washing it under cold water will harden Chana.
- Now take the Chana and place it in the middle of a Muslin cloth and tie all the sides of the cloth.
- Place the Chana covered with the cloth in a flat place.
- Put some weight on it. I have used my Shil Nora/ Shil Batta for this step for 10 minutes to discard excess water from it.
- Remove the weight and remove Chana from the Cloth after 45 minutes. You will see a flat plate of Chana or Cottage Cheese now.
Kneading the Chana along with Nolen Gur to make Sandesh:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Making-of-Nolen-Gurer-Sandesh-300x200.jpg"][/url]
- Kneading plays the major role in making soft Sandesh.
- I have used a wooden plate for this process and kneaded entire Chana for around 7-8 minutes or till Chana smoothen completely and no lump left in Chana.
- At this point add grated Date Palm Jaggery to the kneaded Chana.
- Again knead to mix Jaggery properly with Chana.
- Take the entire mixture in a pan (preferably non-stick) and start to cook on low flame for 8-9 minutes.
- Stir vigorously until the mixture leaves the edges of the pan.
- Switch the flame off and take the Sandesh mixture out on a plate.
- Give the mixture a standing time of 5 minutes before shaping Sandesh.
- Divide the mixture into 16-20 parts depending on the preference of size.
- Rub little Ghee on the Sandesh Moulds a take part of the Sandesh mix and place it in the mold.
- Shape the Sandesh on it and take it out carefully.
- Chop Pistachios roughly and place little pistachio on each mold as shown in the picture.
- Nolen Gurer Sandesh will be extremely fragile at this stage and required to be removed from the mold carefully.
- If not available with a mold then use your hand and give Sandesh a shape of a Ball.
- Nolen Gurer Sandesh can be served at Room temperature or refrigerated and can be stored for 2-3 day in an airtight container in Refrigerator!
- Category: Sweet
- Cuisine: Bengali