Aloo Posto is a signature Bengali delicacy cooked with Potato chunks along with Poppyseed paste aka Posto Bata
- 500g Potato
- 75g Poppy Seed/ Posto/ Khuskhus (adjust as per your need; I prefer to add 1 Tbsp. for each piece of Potato)
- 4 Green Chili
- ½ Tsp. Onion Seed/ Kalo Jeera (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Soak Poppy Seed or Posto in plain water for 30 minutes.
- Make a thick paste using Shil Nora or a food processor.
- I prefer to add 1 green chili while making the paste.
- Add a little salt to the Poppy Seed Paste.
- In case you are not available with a Shil Nora (shil batta) or food processor, use the dry jar of a mixer grinder to make the paste by adding water.
- Wash Potatoes thoroughly.
- Remove the skin.
- Cut into small cubes and soak in water.
- Soaking potatoes is required else potatoes will turn dirty light brown in color.
- Now heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a deep bottom pan.
- Temper it with Onion Seed or Kalo jeera.
- Add Potato cubes.
- Fry on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes or till Potatoes soften a bit.
- Now add a little salt and give it a mix and add green Chilies.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Poppy seed paste and mix.
- Cook till the raw smell of Poppy Seed paste gone completely.
- Add 1 cup of water to cover the potatoes and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook till potatoes soften completely and adjust water if required.
- Adjust gravy according to your preference. I prefer a medium-thick gravy.
- Once done add 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil and mix.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice and Biulir Dal.
Aloo Posto Recipe Video
Kalo Jeera is completely optional.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 594mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Aloo Posto, Aloo Posto Recipe, Bengali Aloo Posto, Debjanir Rannaghar, authentic Aloo posto recipe video