Aloo Posto is a famous dish in Bengali cuisine. It's a potato curry made with Poppy Seeds. Poppy Seeds are also called Khuskhus or Posto. You can make this dish easily with some clever techniques.
- 500g Potato
- 75g Poppy Seed/ Posto/ Khuskhus (adjust as per your need; I prefer to add 1 Tbsp. for each piece of Potato)
- 4 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Onion Seed/ Kalo Jeera (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Soak the Poppy Seeds or Posto in clear water for half an hour.
- Create a thick paste using either a Shil Nora or a food processor.
- Personally, I like to include a single green chili when making the paste.
- Add a small amount of salt to the Poppy Seed Paste.
- If you do not have access to a Shil Nora or food processor, you can use the dry jar of a mixer grinder to make the paste by adding water.
- Thoroughly wash the Potatoes.
- Remove the skin.
- Cut them into small cubes and place them in water.
- It is necessary to soak the potatoes, otherwise, they will turn a dirty light brown color.
- Now, heat up 3 tablespoons of oil in a deep pan.
- Temper it with the Onion Seed or Kalo jeera.
- Add the Potato cubes.
- Fry them on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until the Potatoes soften slightly.
- Next, add a pinch of salt and mix it in, along with the green chilies.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Include the Poppy seed paste and mix it in.
- Continue cooking until the raw smell of the Poppy Seed paste is completely gone.
- Add 1 cup of water to cover the potatoes and then cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook until the potatoes have completely softened, adjusting the water if necessary.
- Adjust the thickness of the gravy according to your preference. I personally like a medium-thick gravy.
- Once it is done, add 1 tablespoon of Mustard oil and mix it in.
- Serve aloo posto hot with steamed rice and Biulir Dal.
Kalo Jeera is completely optional.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 75g
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Sodium: 594mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28.1g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Aloo Posto, Aloo Posto Recipe, Bengali Aloo Posto, Debjanir Rannaghar, authentic Aloo posto recipe video