A classic Mutton delicacy, Mutton Rogan Josh from the valley of Kashmir.
- Mutton (with extra fat): 750g
- Lemon Juice: 3 Tbsp.
For the Gravy:
- Plain Curd: 200g
- Fennel Seed Powder: 3 Tbsp.
- Dry Ginger Powder: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Kashmiri Red Chili powder: 2 Tbsp.
- Ratanjoth: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Garam Masala Powder: 1.5 Tsp.
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Green Cardamom: 2
- Black Cardamom: 1
- Clove: 2-3
- Cinnamon: 1”
- Asafoetida: 1 Tsp.
- Mustard Oil: 3 Tbsp.
- Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Salt: According to taste
- Take medium sized Mutton pieces with bone in a bowl.
- Add Lemon Juice and 1 Tsp. of salt to the Mutton Pieces and mix properly.
- Cover the Bowl with a lid and leave it overnight or for around 7-8 hours in the refrigerator before cooking.
Making of the Curd Mixture:
- Just before cooking take entire Curd in a bowl.
- Using a whisk blend the curd so that there is no lump.
- Add Fennel Seed Powder, Dry Ginger Powder, Kashmiri Red Chili powder and Garam Masala Powder.
- Mix everything to make a smooth mixture.
Mutton Rogan Josh, final steps:
- Now take Both Mustard Oil and Ghee in a deep bottomed pan and heat properly.
- Lower the heat and start frying marinated mutton pieces in the Ghee-Oil mixture.
- Strain the Mutton Pieces from the oil once fried.
- Temper the same oil with Bay Leaf, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Clove, Cinnamon stick, and Asafoetida.
- Add the Curd mixture and mix properly.
- Cook for around 5 minutes in low flame.
- Now add fried Mutton pieces.
- Add Salt as per Taste.
- Now Mix properly using a spatula and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook on low flame for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in between.
- Now add 3 Cups of boiling water to the Pan and then cook for around 1.5 Hours in medium flame.
- Add little hot water in between.
- Cook until Mutton Pieces are properly cooked.
- Adjust the moisture as per preference. In general, this is a gravy dish or meat where the gravy is semi-thick.
I’ve fried 5-6 pieces of mutton in each batch for 4-5 minutes in medium flame. the frying to be done until mutton pieces turned brownish from both sides.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Mutton
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 200g
- Calories: 585
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 808mg
- Fat: 33.9g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4g
- Carbohydrates: 10.6g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 57.3g
- Cholesterol: 184mg