Prawn Curry flavored with coconut milk originally from Malaysia is modified into a Signature Bengali Dish known as Chingri Malai curry aka Chicngri Malaikari.
- 10 Jumbo Prawn/ Galda Chingri (if not available medium-sized shrimp can also be used)
- 1" Whole Cinnamon
- 2 Dried Red Chilli
- 2 Green Cardamom
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 5-6 Clove
- 2 Bay Leave
For making the Gravy:
- 1.5 cup Coconut Milk
- 5 Onion
- 1 Tomato (Big)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. or Salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee/ Clarified Butter
- Prawns with the shell work best for Chingri Macher Malaikari.
- Wash Prawns thoroughly and devein each and every prawn before cooking.
- Now rub some Salt and Turmeric Powder to the Prawns and leave those for 15 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste of Onions and Tomatoes separately.
- Heat the oil in a deep vessel.
- Fry Prawns one by one without tempering the shell in medium flame until the Prawns turn pink in color.
- After straining the Prawns from the hot oil add half of the Ghee in the Oil.
- Temper the Ghee-Oil mixture with Cinnamon, Dried Red Chilli, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom, Clove and Bay Leave.
- Now add Onion paste to the tempering. Cook for around 3-4 minutes or till the paste cooked properly and turned pinkish-brown in color.
- Add Tomato Paste and again cook for 1 minute.
- Add Ginger and Garlic Paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Now add Turmeric Powder, Sugar, Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, and half of the Garam Masala Powder to the mixture.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes in low flame until oil separates from the mixture. If required add 1 tsp. of water in between.
- Now add Coconut Milk to the mixture and mix properly.
- Add 2 Cup of Water and bring it to boil.
- Finally, add Fried Prawns to the gravy.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes in low flame till the gravy thickens to a medium consistency.
- Add remaining Garam Masala and Ghee to Chingri Macher Malaikari and mix properly.
- Give the dish a rest of 5 minutes before serving.
You can use frozen prawn in case shelled prawns are not available.
I have used store-bought coconut milk. You can extract the milk from raw coconut.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 175g
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 416mg
- Fat: 26.2g
- Saturated Fat: 15.2g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 32.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: Chingri malai curry recipe