Chanar Dalna is a popular Bengali side dish prepared with Fresh Chana and Potato with added Onion and Garlic.
For Making Chana:
- Full Cream Milk: 1.5 Litre
- Lemon Juice or Vinegar: 3 Tbsp. (I prefer to use Lemon Juice for curdling the milk)
For making Chanar Dalna:
- Chana: Prepared from 1.5 liters of milk
- Potato: 4
- Tomato: 2
- Ginger: 2”
- Cumin Seed: 1/2 Tsp.
- Bay Leave: 2
- Dried Red Chilli: 2
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Refined Vegetable Oil: 3 Tbsp. for cooking + 100 ml(to fry Chana)
- Ghee: 1/2 Tbsp.
- Coconut Milk: 1 Cup (Optional)
Making of Chana:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/How-to-make-Chana-300x240.jpg"][/url]
- Start boiling entire milk in a deep vessel till bubble comes from the milk and then reduce the flame.
- Start adding Lemon Juice or Vinegar to the milk and stir with a ladle to mix the souring agent properly to curdle the milk.
- The Milk will start curdling within a ½ minute or so and the water will also start separating from the Curdled milk.
- Switch the flame off and cover the vessel with a lid and wait for 5 minutes.
- Take a Strainer and discard entire water from the curdled milk and then take the Curdled milk in a fresh Muslin cloth and then tie a knot to close the cloth containing Curdled Milk or Chana from every side.
- Now Place it in flat place preferably within the sink and put a weight on the cloth to press the Chana to discard water from it for around 30 minutes.
- Now remove the Wight and open the cloth and then take the Chana out from the cloth.
- Cut Chana into small Squares for making Chanar Dalna.
Making of Chanar Dalna:
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Making-of-Chanar-Dalna-300x217.jpg"][/url]
- Cut Potatoes into medium sized Cubes and chop tomatoes roughly.
- Make a paste of Ginger and add Cumin powder to that paste and mix properly.
- Mix both Turmeric Powder and Red Chilli Powder with a little water to make a paste.
- Now Take Oil in a Pan and heat the oil properly and then start frying Potato cubes till those turn Golden Brown and keep those aside after frying.
- Now fry Chana Cubes from all the sides in the same oil. The Cubes of Chana should turn Bright Brown after frying. Strain Fried Chana from the Oil
- Temper remaining Oil with Bay leaves, Dried Red Chilli and Cumin Seed and cook for ½ minutes and then add chopped Tomatoes in the tempering and cook for around 2-3 minutes in low flame till the raw smell of Tomatoes emits completely.
- Now add Ginger-Cumin Powder Paste and Turmeric-Red Chilli Powder Paste to the Pan and mix properly with a ladle and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add Sugar and Salt to the Mixture and add 2 Tbsp. of Water as well and cook till oil separates from the mixture.
- Now add 3 Cup of Water and coconut milk (optional) and also the fried Potatoes and Fried Chana to the Mixture and mix properly.
- Cook in Medium flame for 10 minutes while covering the pan with a Lid.
- Add Bengali Garam Masala Powder and Ghee to the Gravy and mix properly.
- Switch the flame off and give the Curry a rest of 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Chanar Dalna can be served with either Rice or any Flatbread including Roti, Luchi, Poori, Kachori or Radhaballabhi.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 15.2g
- Sodium: 577mg
- Fat: 24.1g
- Saturated Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 38.5g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg