One of my friend from University recently send me a text in WhatsApp that I have similarities with Camel 😯 ! I was literally in a shock and asked him to elaborate! His answer was more than pathetic…”There isn’t any recipe of Drink or Sorbet available in Debjanir Rannaghar so I thought you can live without liquid for days 😳 !”… Height of criticism and Leg pulling …. After the height of insult here goes the First ever Recipe of a Popular Indian Sorbet on this auspicious occasion of Holi: THANDAI…
Thandai requires no further introductionI guess.. It’s a refreshing milk based drink prepared especially on Holi and is also advisable to have Thandai all through the summer due to its cooling characteristics. In fact I prefer to have Thandai all through the Summer because of the amazing flavor and it is super refreshing too!!!
- Milk: 1 Litre (I have used Full Cream Milk)
- Sugar / Chini: 6 Tbsp.
- Almond/ Badam: 50
- Cashew Nut: 10
- Pistachios/ Pista: 10
- Melon Seed / Magajdana: 2 Tbsp.
- Poppy Seed/ Posto/ Khuskhus: 2 Tbsp.
- Fennel Seed / Mauri / Saunf: 2 Tbsp.
- Black Peppercorn / Gol Marich / Kali Mirch: 15
- Green Cardamom / Choto Elach / Hari Elaichi: 8 (de-seeded)
- Rose Water: ½ Tsp.
- Saffron: 12-15 Strings
- For Garnishing:
- Pistachios: 5 (chopped)
- Saffron Strings: 5-10
- Soak Almond, Cashew Nut, Pistachios, Melon Seed, Poppy Seed, Fennel Seed Black Peppercorn and De-seeded Green Cardamom in plain water for minimum 2 hours; however I soaked all the ingredients overnight.
- Take milk in a deep bottom Vessel and bring it to boil.
- Add Sugar and cook the milk in medium flame till sugar dissolves completely.
- Take 2 Tbsp. of milk out in a small bowl and add Saffron to this small portion of Worm milk and keep it aside.
- Switch the flame off and let the remaining milk cool completely.
- Take Almonds and Pistachios out of the soaked spice and nut mix and remove the skins.
- Now make a fine Paste of Almond, Cashew Nut, Pistachios, Melon Seed, Poppy Seed, Fennel Seed Black Peppercorn and De-seeded Green Cardamom either in grinder or using a “Shil-Nora” or “Shilbatta”. You can add 2 Tbsp. Water if required.
- Add this paste in the Milk and mix properly using a spoon and then cover the vessel with a lid and leave it for around 30 minutes.
- Now using a strainer strain the milk in a large vessel or Jug.
- Mix the residue with 1 Cup of Water and strain again into the same large vessel which was used for storing the flavoured milk.
- Add previously prepared Saffron milk and Rose water to the mixture and let the Milk cool in refrigerator for around 2-3 hours before serving.
- At the time of Serving mix the milk with a spoon and pour in glasses and garnish with chopped Pistachios and strings of Saffron.
Though Thandai Concentrate is easily available in departmental stores and in Confectioners Shops but it is really easy to prepare Thandai at home and I always prefer the homemade version of this amazing drink.