Shukto is a famous Bengali Mixed Vegetarian dish served with Rice.
- 4 Uchche/ Bitter Gourd
- 1 Begun / Eggplants
- 1 Kanchkola/ Plaintain/ Raw Cooking Banana (Small)
- 2 Potato/ Aloo (Medium)
- 2 Sweet Potato/ Ranga Aloo/ Sakkar Kandi (Small)
- 2 Drumsticks/ Danta/ Danthal
- 1 White radish/ Mulo/ Mooli
- 5 Sheem/ Hyacinth Beans
- 10-15 Bori
- 2 Tbsp. Poppy seeds/ Khuskhus/Posto
- 1 Tbsp. Mustard Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger paste
- 1 Tsp. Panchphoran/ Bengali Five Spices
- 2 Tsp. Randhuni (optional)
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric Powder (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil for Frying and Tempering
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee/clarified butter
- 1 cup Milk
- 4 cup Water
- Soak both Mustard Seed and Poppy seed in water for 10 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste of Poppyseed and Mustard Seed separately using a food processor or Shil Nora (Shil Batta).
- Strain the mixture to remove the husk.
- Crush 1Tsp. Randhuni. Use 1 Tsp. whole Randhuni as tempering.
- Wash all the veggies.
- Cut Bitter Gourd, Eggplant, Green Banana, Potato, Sweet potato, White radish, and Hyacinth Beans into rectangular strips ( 1/2") and Drumsticks into 2" long strips after peeling the outer skin of each veggie except Eggplant.
- Heat Mustard Oil in a Wok.
- Now sprinkle some salt and turmeric powder over the pieces of Eggplant and fry in the remaining oil.
- After that fry Bitter gourd.
- Now fry Bari in medium flame and strain from oil.
- Temper remaining oil with Panchphoron and Randhuni.
- Now fry Green Banana, Potato, and Sweet potato, Drumsticks, White radish, and Hyacinth Beans one by one.
- Do not strain the veggies from the pan from now on.
- Add the Ginger paste and cook for 1-2 minutes and add Poppy seed paste and Mustard paste and again cook for around 2 minutes.
- Add Turmeric Powder (optional), Salt and Sugar again cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add milk and water to the Spice mix and bring it to boil.
- Add all the fried veggies along with raw Drumstick and cover the wok with a lid.
- Cook for around 8-10 minutes on low flame or till the veggies cooked properly.
- Check the water level and if required add some more water since Shukto should have sufficient gravy.
- Now add crushed Randhuni.
- Add Ghee to the Curry and boil for around 2 minutes and switch the flame off.
- Shukto is ready to serve.
- Serve it hot with steamed rice to initiate the meal.
Cut all the veggies except drumsticks in equal size.
Panchphoron is a mixture of Nigella, Cumin Seed, Fenugreek, Fennel, and mustard seeds in equal proportion.
You may use only Mustard seed instead of Panch Phoron.
Turmeric Powder is optional however, I am allergic to Eggplant and hence I prefer to add it
Randhuni is a close relative of Celery Seed. In Bengali cuisine, Randhuni is used for tempering the oil.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 323
- Sugar: 12.6g
- Sodium: 428mg
- Fat: 14.7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 42.7g
- Fiber: 11.6g
- Protein: 8.9g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: Shukto recipe, Bengali Shukto recipe, Debjanir rannaghar