Kosha Mangsho is a famous Bengali Mutton Curry where the mutton is slow cooked with the spices for hours.
- Mutton: 1 Kg with fat (preferably Rewazi Khashi)
- Grated Raw Papaya: 1/2 Cup
- Onion: 7-8
- Garlic Paste: 2 tbsp.
- Ginger Paste: 1.5 tbsp.
- Green Chili: 2-3
- Sour Curd: 200g.
- Cumin Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Bengali Garam Masala Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Asafoetida / Hing: ½ Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tbsp.
- Bay Leave: 4
- Dry Red Chili: 4
- Clove: 3-4
- Black Cardamom: 1-2
- Green Cardamom: 3-4
- Cinnamon Stick: 1"
- Mustard Oil: 150ml
- Ghee / Clarified Butter: 2 Tbsp.
- Wash Mutton pieces thoroughly and pat dry those.
- Make a paste of two onions and finely chop the rest.
- Now, marinate Mutton pieces with Grated Raw Papaya, 1 tsp each of Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, and Garam Masala Powder, 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil, a little salt, 1/2 Tsp. Sugar and also 1 Tsp. each of ginger and Garlic Paste and Onion paste.
- Add half of the curd as well.
- Mix everything and give the marinated mutton rest for around 6-8 hours.
- Take rest of the Mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and heat the oil sufficiently.
- Temper the oil with Bay leaves, Dry Red Chillies, and Hing and then add 1 Tbsp. of sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves and caramelized.
- Now add chopped onion and cook until the onion turns brownish in color.
- Add Ginger and garlic paste and cook for another 4-5 minute in medium flame until oil separates.
- Now add curd and mix thoroughly.
- Add rest of the Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, and chili powder and cook for one more minute.
- Add salt as well
- Now add marinated mutton pieces along with the marination to the spice mix and start cooking on medium flame.
- Next step is known as “Koshano” in Bengali which means cooking on high flame without adding water and it requires frequent mixing.
- Cook for at least 4-7 minutes on high flame and stir frequently.
- Check the gravy for salt and other spices and if require adjust spices accordingly.
- Cook on low flame for around 1 hour.
- Stir in between.
- No need to add water at this moment as Mutton will release moisture.
- Cook till the mutton soften but remain in shape.
- Now add chopped green chili.
- Add 1 cup boiling water and cook until the gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Add Ghee and Bengali Garam Masala Powder and cook for another 1-2 minutes and switch the flame off.
- Kosha Mangsho is ready to serve.
Kosha Mangsho aka Mutton Kosha Recipe Video
I prefer Iron pan to make the Kosha Mangsho as slow cooking over Iron wok gives the blackish color to the mutton.
You can use a pressure cooker to make the Kosha Mangsho as well to avoid the extra time required for cooking. However, cooking over Iron pan, given, the desired color to Kasha Mansho.
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Slow cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 175g
- Calories: 708
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Fat: 45.5g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 51.3g
- Cholesterol: 166mg
Keywords: Kosha mangsho recipe, mutton kosha recipe, debjani rannaghar