Kosha Mangsho is a famous Bengali Mutton Curry where the mutton is slow cooked with the spices for hours.
- 1 Kg Muttonwith fat (preferably Rewazi Khashi)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Raw Papaya
- 8 Onion
- 2 tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1.5 tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 3 Green Chili
- 200g Sour Curd
- 2 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 2 Tsp. Bengali Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Asafoetida aka Hing
- 2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 4 Dry Red Chilies
- 4 Clove:
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 150ml Mustard Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee aka Clarified Butter
- Wash Mutton pieces thoroughly and pat dry those.
- Make a paste of two onions and finely chop the rest.
- Now, marinate Mutton pieces with Grated Raw Papaya, 1 tsp each of Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, and Garam Masala Powder, 1 Tbsp. Mustard oil, a little salt, 1/2 Tsp. Sugar and also 1 Tsp. each of ginger and Garlic Paste and Onion paste.
- Add half of the curd as well.
- Mix everything and give the marinated mutton rest for around 6-8 hours.
- Take rest of the Mustard oil in a deep bottom pan and heat the oil sufficiently.
- Temper the oil with Bay leaves, Dry Red Chillies, and Hing and then add 1 Tbsp. of sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves and caramelized.
- Now add chopped onion and cook until the onion turns brownish in color.
- Add Ginger and garlic paste and cook for another 4-5 minute in medium flame until oil separates.
- Now add curd and mix thoroughly.
- Add rest of the Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, and chili powder and cook for one more minute.
- Add salt as well
- Now add marinated mutton pieces along with the marination to the spice mix and start cooking on medium flame.
- Next step is known as “Koshano” in Bengali which means cooking on high flame without adding water and it requires frequent mixing.
- Cook for at least 4-7 minutes on high flame and stir frequently.
- Check the gravy for salt and other spices and if require adjust spices accordingly.
- Cook on low flame for around 1 hour.
- Stir in between.
- No need to add water at this moment as Mutton will release moisture.
- Cook till the mutton soften but remain in shape.
- Now add chopped green chili.
- Add 1 cup boiling water and cook until the gravy reaches desired consistency.
- Add Ghee and Bengali Garam Masala Powder and cook for another 1-2 minutes and switch the flame off.
- Kosha Mangsho is ready to serve.
I prefer Iron pan to make the Kosha Mangsho as slow cooking over Iron wok gives the blackish color to the mutton.
You can use a pressure cooker to make the Kosha Mangsho as well to avoid the extra time required for cooking. However, cooking over Iron pan, given, the desired color to Kasha Mansho.
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Slow cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 175g
- Calories: 708
- Sugar: 10.5g
- Sodium: 193mg
- Fat: 45.5g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 51.3g
- Cholesterol: 166mg
Keywords: Kosha mangsho recipe, mutton kosha recipe, debjani rannaghar