Traditional lentil stuffed fried bread and runny potato curry from Uttar Pradesh is a signature Indian combo meal known as Bedmi Poori Aur Aloo ki Sabzi
For Bedmi Poori:
- Spitted Black Gram without skin/ Kalai er Daal/ Urad Daal: 1 Cup
- Whole Wheat Flour: 2 Cup
- Fennel Seed / Mouri / Saunf Powder: 1 Tbsp.
- Asafoetida / Hing: 1 Tsp.
- Dry Ginger Powder / Sonth: 1 tsp. ( if not available 1 Tsp. a ginger paste can be used )
- Red Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
- Dry Mango Powder/ Aaamchoor Powder: ½ tsp.
- Coriander/ Dhane / Dhaniya Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Clarified Butter / Ghee: 2 tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Green Chili: 2
- Vegetable Refined Oil: for Deep Frying
For Bedmi Aloo ki Sabzi:
- Potato: 4-5
- Tomato: 1, finely chopped
- Tomato: 2 medium sized, Pureed
- Cumin Seed: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander / Dhane / Dhaniya Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Dry Red Chili: 2
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Grated Ginger: 1 Tbsp.
- Dried Fenugreek Leaves / Kasuri Methi: 1 tsp.
- Clarified Butter / Ghee: 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard Oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Wheat Flour: 1 tbsp. (optional)
To make Bedmi Poori:[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Making-of-Bedmi-Poori-300x200.jpg"][/url]
- Soak Kalai / Urad Daal in water for 4-6 hours or preferably overnight and make a coarse paste of the soaked Daal along with green chillies. Try to use almost no water to make the paste.
- In a bowl mix flour with Fennel Seed Powder, Asafoetida, Dry Ginger Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Aaamchoor Powder, Coriander Powder and salt .
- Now add Daal paste to the flour mixture and start kneading and if required add very little water to make a semi-soft dough.
- Add Ghee to the dough and again knead for a minute or so.
- Now cover the dough with a wait cloth and give it a rest of 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough one more time and divide it into 15 equal sized balls.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan.
- Take a ball and start rolling into a 5” circle and fry it on medium flame to get a golden Poori.
- Don't fry Poori on high flame.
- Following the process mentioned fry all the Poories.
To make Aloo Ki Sabzi:[url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Making-of-Bedmi-aloo-ki-Sabzi-300x200.jpg"][/url]
- Boil potatoes with little salt and drain the water from the pan.
- Don't cut the Potatoes into cube like we usually do while making a Potato dish instead break potatoes with the help of the back side of a spatula/ ladle to get uneven pieces and some Mashed Potatoes. This dish is specified by the texture of the potatoes.
- In pan heat ghee and oil and temper the ghee-oil mixture with dried Red chilies, Asafoetida and Cumin seeds.
- Now add dried Fenugreek leaves and cook for 1 minute in medium flame.
- Then add Tomato puree and ginger paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Red Chili powder, and salt and then cook for another 2-3 minute or until oil comes from the mixture.
- Add potatoes and mix with the spices well and then add 3 cups of water to the mixture.
- In half a cup of water add 1 tbsp. of wheat flour and mix properly and then add this mixture to the potato gravy. This step is optional but provides a good texture to the gravy.
- Boil the Sabzi till you get the desired consistency; however, it’s preferred to be a bit runny.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Indian