Sali Ma Marghi is a Parsi Chicken delicacy prepared with long fried potato strips.
To make the Chicken Curry
- Chicken: 1 kg (preferably leg and breast pieces)
- Onion: 4 medium sized (finely chopped)
- Onion: 1 paste (optional)
- Ginger paste: 1tbsp (half for marination and half during cooking)
- Garlic Paste: 2 tbsp. (half for marination and half during cooking)
- Yogurt: 200g
- Green chilies: 3-4 (paste)
- Tomato: 2 (Pureed/chopped)
- Chilli powder: 1 Tsp.
- Turmeric powder: 1 Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: ½ Tsp.
- Garam Masala: ½ Tsp.
- Jaggery: 1 Tsp.
- Vinegar: 2 Tbsp.
- Vegetable oil: 4 tbsp.
- Black Pepper Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Bay Leave: 2
- Cinnamon Stick: 1"
- Black Cardamom: 1
- Green Cardamom: 2-3
- Salt to taste
- Water: 2 Cup
To make Sali:
- Potatoes: 5
- Salt: 1 Tbsp.
- Vegetable Oil: for Deep Frying
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Sali-Ma-Marghi-making.jpg"][/url]
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and marinade with ginger paste, garlic paste, onion paste, green chili paste, Yogurt, salt, turmeric powder overnight or at least 2-3 hours. However, I prefer to marinade overnight (8 hours).
- In a thick bottomed pan heat oil and temper, the oil with bay leaves, Cinnamon, Green and black cardamom.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they turn golden or light brown in color.
- Add chopped/ Pureed tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes in medium flame and then add ginger-garlic paste and cook till oil comes from the mixture.
- Now add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder and jaggery and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add Vinegar and Jaggery and mix thoroughly.
- Now add marinated Chicken Pieces and cook for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Add hot water (around 2 cups) and cover the chicken with a lid and cook for around 10 minutes or so.
- Adjust Salt according to taste.
- Cook till the gravy thickened and turns red in color.
- Cut potatoes into matchstick-like strips.
- Take Potato strips in a bowl and soak that in water along with 1 Tbsp. Salt for 15 minutes.
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying the potatoes.
- Once the oil is heated sufficiently, start frying the potatoes in small batches.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and fry the potatoes until those turn crisp and golden brown in color.
- Strain fried potatoes from the oil and fry rest of the potatoes.
Finishing Sali Ma Marghi:
- Add 2/3 of the fried potatoes to the finished chicken curry and give it a light mix.
- Top the curry with rest of the fried potatoes and serve hot with your choice of Bread or Rice.
I prefer to use a food processor cut the potatoes for Sali. However, you can chop them also. I love to have lots of “Sali” in my Sali ma Marghi but the quantity is absolutely per choice.
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: Parsi
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 692
- Sugar: 9.07g
- Sodium: 1299 mg
- Fat: 38.04 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.811 g
- Trans Fat: 7.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.99 g
- Fiber: 7.4 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg