Sali Ma Marghi is a Parsi Chicken delicacy prepared with long-fried potato strips.
To make the Chicken Curry
- 1 kg Chicken (preferably leg and breast pieces)
- 4 Onion medium sized (finely chopped)
- 1 Onion paste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger paste (half for marination and half during cooking)
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Paste (half for marination and half during cooking)
- 200g Yogurt
- 4 Green chilies (paste)
- 2 Tomato (Pureed/chopped)
- 1 Tsp. Chilli powder
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp. Jaggery
- 2 Tbsp. Vinegar
- 4 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 2 Tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 2 Bay Leave
- 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 green Cardamom
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 2 cups Water
To make Sali
- 5 Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 100ml Vegetable Oil for Deep Frying
- Wash chicken pieces thoroughly and marinade with ginger paste, garlic paste, onion paste, green chili paste, Yogurt, salt, and turmeric powder overnight or at least 2-3 hours. However, I prefer to marinade overnight (8 hours).
- In a thick-bottomed pan heat oil and temper, the oil with bay leaves, Cinnamon, Green and black cardamom.
- Add chopped onions and fry till they turn golden or light brown in color.
- Now add chopped/ Pureed tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add ginger-garlic paste as well and cook till oil comes from the mixture.
- Now add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder and also jaggery and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add Vinegar and Jaggery and mix thoroughly.
- Now add marinated Chicken Pieces and cook for 10 minutes in low flame.
- Add hot water (around 2 cups) and cover the chicken with a lid and cook for around 10 minutes or so.
- Adjust Salt according to taste.
- Cook till the gravy thickened and turns red in color.
- Cut potatoes into matchstick-like strips.
- Take Potato strips in a bowl and soak that in water along with 1 Tbsp. Salt for 15 minutes.
- Heat Oil in a pan for deep frying the potatoes.
- Once the oil is heated sufficiently, start frying the potatoes in small batches.
- Keep the flame on the lower side and fry the potatoes until those turn crisp and golden brown in color.
- Strain fried potatoes from the oil and fry rest of the potatoes.
Finishing Sali Ma Marghi
- Add 2/3 of the fried potatoes to the finished chicken curry and give it a light mix.
- Top the curry with rest of the fried potatoes and serve hot with your choice of Bread or Rice.
I prefer to use a food processor cut the potatoes for Sali. However, you can chop them also. I love to have lots of “Sali” in my Sali ma Marghi but the quantity is absolutely per choice.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Parsi
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 692
- Sugar: 9.07g
- Sodium: 1299 mg
- Fat: 38.04 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.811 g
- Trans Fat: 7.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.99 g
- Fiber: 7.4 g
- Protein: 34.3 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg