Chingrir Cutlet a.k.a Prawn Cutlet is a classic Bengali snack. During my College and University days, I used to visit “Basanta Cabin”, “Kalika”, “Chachar Dokan” etc. for those amazing cutlets and chops. Chicngir Cutlet and a bowl full of Muri (Puffed Rice).... ahhha heaven!!! I miss badly those Bong snacks here in Gurgaon. Though Bong snacks are available in C. R. Park and in specialty restaurant in Delhi and Gurgaon, however, the taste of chop- Cutlet from Kolkata based tiny shops are just unbeatable and unparalleled.
Chingri Cutlet aka Bengali Prawn Cutlet is a famous seafood appetizer.
- Medium sized Prawn: 500 g (10-12 pieces)
- Onion: 1 (paste)
- Ginger Paste: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Paste: 1 tablespoon
- Green Chilli paste: 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: few strands
- Coriander Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: as per taste
- Pepper Powder: 2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Breadcrumbs: 1 cup
- Onion Powder: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Garlic Powder: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Parsley: 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Egg: 2
- Vegetable Oil: 200 ml (for deep frying)
- Wash and devein prawns properly.
- Remove the Shell but keep the tail intact. (refer to the picture).
- Then again wash prawns and make a slit in the middle (vain area) and cut it half way (it will look like love sign with a tail).
- Marinate Prawns with lime juice, salt, pepper, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, onion paste, green chili paste.
- Refrigerate marinated prawns for 3-4 hours.
- Mix Breadcrumbs with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder as well as parsley.
- Take 2 Eggs and beat them with salt and pepper.
To make Chingri Cutlet:
- Take chilled and marinated prawns and coat a prawn with the crumb mix and then with the beaten egg.
- Repeat the process for one more time.
- Then do the same with rest of the marinated prawns.
- Now it’s time for refrigerating prawn cutlets for at least 8 hours.
- Heat Vegetable Oil in a deep bottom pan.
- Deep fry cutlets on low flame to cook prawns properly till the cutlet turns golden brown from both sides.
- Enjoy hot spicy Chingri Cutlet with Kasundi.
If not available with breadcrumbs, take 4 slices of bread/ rusk to prepare breadcrumbs. In case you are using bread then you have to grill pieces of bread for 10 minutes. However, for rusk, you can prepare crumbs directly. I prefer to use bread.
Grind the grilled bread or rusk to make the breadcrumbs.
- Prep Time: 9 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 100g
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 481mg
- Fat: 24.9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 14.9g
- Cholesterol: 41mg