Mutton Rezala is famous gravy-based subtle mutton delicacy and is quite popular in Kolkata.
- 1 Kg Mutton (medium size pieces with fat)
- 3 Onion
- 1/2 Tbsp. Garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp. Ginger
- 100g Hung Curd
- 100g Raw Papaya
- 1 Tsp. Shahi Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tsp. White Pepper/ Sahi morich Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 3 Bay leaf
- 10 Dried Red Chilies
- 2 Tbsp. Black Pepper (Whole)
- 4 Inch Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 1 floret Mace
For Rezala Gravy:
- 20 Makhana aka lotus seed
- 2 Onion
- 1.5 Tbsp. Garlic
- 1.5 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 4 Green Chilies (depending on taste)
- 100g Poppy Seed
- 1 Tbsp. Melon Seed
- 20 Cashew Nut
- 100g Hung Curd
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp. Salt or (as per taste)
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp. Kewra Water
- 1/2 Tsp. Mitha Ittr
- 10 strands Saffron
- 1/2 Tsp. Shahi Garam Masala Powder
- 100g Ghee
- 5 Tbsp. Refined Oil
- Wash Mutton Pieces thoroughly and pat dry them using a kitchen Towel.
- Make a fine paste of Onion, Ginger, Garlic and Raw Papaya separately using a food processor or Onion grater.
- In a big bowl take all the pastes prepared along with Shahi Garam Masala Powder, Oil and also beaten Hung Curd and mix those properly.*
- Add 1 Tsp. Salt and 1 Tbsp. Sugar to the mixture along with 1 Tsp. white Pepper Powder.
- Add Mutton pieces to the Marination and coat the pieces with the Marinade and leave it overnight (I marinate mutton while preparing Rezala for more than 12 hours)
Making the Rezala:
- Crush saffron Strings and mix with 1/2 cup lukewarm Milk and keep the mixture aside for future use.
- Make a fine paste of Poppy Seed and strain it through a strainer.
- Make a paste of Cashew Nut and also Melon Seeds using very little water and keep the mixture aside.
- Take Oil in a Deep vessel and fry Makhana and strain those.
- Fry Onions till those turn Brown in color and crunchy in texture.
- The Fried Onions are known as "Beresta". Strain "Beresta from Oil and let it cool completely.
- Take half of the Beresta along with Green Chilies in a grinder (I used the Wet jar) and make a fine paste of it.
- In the same Oil add Ghee and heat the Ghee-Oil mixture properly.
- Temper the mixture with Bay Leave, Dried Red Chilies, Black Peppercorn, Cinnamon Stick, Green Cardamom, Black Cardamom and also Mace.
- Cook for 1 minute on low flame.
- Add "Beresta" Paste and also Salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Now add Ginger and also Garlic Paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add Poppy Seed paste and also Cashew Nut and melon seed paste to the mixture.
- Cook until the mixture releases oil from the edges.
- Add 1 Tsp. Sugar to the mixture.
- Separate Mutton Pieces from the Marinade.
- Add the Marinade mixture ( without Mutton Pieces) to the vessel and start cooking in low flame till the raw aroma of the marinade goes out completely.
- Add 3 Cup of Boiling water and cook for around 10 minutes in low flame.
- Now add Mutton pieces in the gravy and cook until the mutton soften completely. It took me around 1.5 hour minutes to complete the cooking. *
- Adjust the water at this stage. Traditional Rezala is neither Thick nor Runny and I prefer that medium Consistency in my Rezala as well.
- Mix Kewra Water and Mitha Ittr with the Saffron milk prepared previously.
- Add the mixture in the Rezala and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of Shahi Garam Masala Powder as well.
- Give Rezala a standing time of 10 minutes before serving.
- Category: Mutton
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Mughlai
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 543
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Sodium: 226mg
- Fat: 36.2g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 21.8g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
Keywords: mutton rezala recipe, authentic mutton rezala, mughlai food recipe, gosht rezala, debjanir rannaghar