Bhapa Ilish or steamed Hilsa is a signature Bengali fish preparation where Hilsa Fish or Ilish Maach is steamed along with spices and ended on a mouth-watering fish curry.
- Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach: 5-7 pieces (500 g)
- Black Mustard Seed for paste: 4 Tsp. (it should be soaked in lukewarm water)
- Sour Curd/ Tok Doi: 4 Tbsp.
- Freshly Grated Coconut: 3 Tbsp.
- Poppy Seed/ Posto / Khuskhus: 1.5 Tbsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1 Tsp
- Green Chili: 4-6
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 Tsp
- Mustard Oil: 4 Tbsp.
- [url href="https://kitchenofdebjani.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/How-to-make-Bhapa-Ilish-300x240.jpg"][/url]
To make the Marinade:
- Prepare a thick paste of Black Mustard either in grinder or with the help of “Silnora” or “Shil Batta” by adding 1 green chili and 1 Tsp. of salt and keep it aside.
- Make Paste of Poppy Seeds or Posto separately.
- Rub fish pieces with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and Chilli Powder and leave those for 10 minutes.
To prepare the box full of marinated fish for steaming:
- Now in a bowl add Mustard Paste, Poppy Seed Paste, Freshly Grated Coconut, Sour Curd, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder and 3 Tbsp. of Mustard Oil and Mix properly.
- Add salt to the mixture. Do check the salt as we have already added salt while rubbing the fish and in the Mustard Paste. Add 1 Cup of Water to the mixture.
- Add Green Chilli.
- Bhapa Ilish can be prepared in a flame using a double boiler or can be prepared in Microwave.
- Take a Stainless Steel Tiffin Box or a Microwave oven safe Container with a tight lid and rub some Oil in the container.
- Now spread half of the previously prepared Paste the container and put 2-3 slit Green Chilies and then place Fish pieces and finally pour rest of the paste over the fishes.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. of Mustard Oil on the top and also rest of the slit Green Chilies.
- Cover the lid of the tiffin box.
Steaming the Ilish: Any of the process mentioned below can be followed:
- Using Vessel or Handi: Take a deep Vessel/ Handi with and place the Box and then pour 5 Cup of water in the box and place the stainless Steel box and then cover the Vessel with the lid and place the vessel on high flame for around 5 minutes or till water started boiling and then cook on low flame for around 20 minutes.
- Using Pressure Cooker: Pour 5 Cup s of water in a Pressure Cooker and place the Stainless Steel Box and then Pressure cook in a pressure cooker on medium flame for 2-3 whistles. Wait till steam comes out of the cooker.
- Using Microwave oven: Take a Microwave safe deep vessel and put the Container containing Fish and then put 5 Cups of water and Cook in High Temperature for 5 minutes and then in 40% temperature for around 25 minutes.
- Carefully take out the tiffin box and open the lid.
- Bhapa Ilish is ready to serve with steamed rice.
- Category: Fish, Lunch, Main
- Cuisine: Bengali