A traditional fish curry prepared with Cat fish or Pabda Maach known as Pabda Mach-er Tel Jhal
- Pabda Mach/ Cat Fish: 5-6 (I've used whole fishes, however, cut into halves if the fishes are of large size)
- Onion Paste: 5 Tbsp.
- Black Mustard Seed for paste: 2 Tsp. (it should be soaked in lukewarm water before making the paste)
- Tomato paste: 3 Tbsp.
- Nigella Seed/ Kalojire / Kalonji: 2 Tsp.
- Salt: to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: 2 Tsp.
- Green Chili: 5-6(slit)
- Mustard Oil: 4-5 Tbsp.
- Prepare a paste of mustard either in a grinder or with the help of “Silnora/ Shilbatta” by adding 2 Green chilies and 1 Tsp. of salt and keep it aside.
- Cut fishes into halves if they are large in size or use whole fishes if small in size and clean properly.
- Rub fish pieces with 1 Tsp. salt and ½ Tsp. turmeric powder and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry pieces of fish.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of Mustered oil in a deep pan (preferably Karai) till the oil changes color.
- Add Nigella Seed/ Kalojire /Kalonji to the oil to temper and also add onion paste and fry till onion changes color in medium flame.
- Add tomato paste and cook in medium flame till oil comes from the mixture.
- Pour mustard paste, turmeric powder, slit green chilies, red chili powder and water to the mixture and boil it in medium flame.
- Now add fried Fish pieces slowly to the mixture and cook it in a low flame for at least 10 minutes (Pan should be covered with a lid in this stage) till water soaked.
- Pabda Macher Tel Jhal is ready to serve with steamed rice.
- Category: Fish
- Cuisine: Bengali