A tantalizingly delicious Catfish or Pabda Maach curry, lovingly prepared with an aromatic blend of spices and simmered to perfection: it's the Pabda Mach-er Tel Jhal. Rich and flavorful, this traditional Bengali dish is sure to delight even the most discerning palates.
- 6 Pabda Mach/ Catfish
- 4 Tbsp. Onion Paste
- 2 Tsp. Black Mustard Seed for paste
- 3 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Ginger Paste
- 6 Green Chilies
- 3 Tbsp. Hung Curd
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed/ Kalojire / Kalonji
- 1 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Mustard Oil
- Prepare a paste of mustard either in a grinder or with the help of “Silnora/ Shilbatta” by adding 2 Green chilies and 1 Tsp. of salt and keep it aside.
- Cut fishes into halves if they are large in size or use whole fishes if small in size and clean properly.
- Rub fish pieces with 1/2 Tsp. salt and ½ Tsp. turmeric powder and 1/2 Tsp. Red Chilli Powder along with 1/2 Tbsp. Mustard Oil and keep them aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry pieces of fish.
- Heat 5 Tbsp. of Mustered oil in a deep pan (preferably Karai) till the oil changes color.
- Sprincle 1/2 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Salt, and also red chili Powder.
- Add Nigella Seed/ Kalojire /Kalonji to the oil to temper and also add onion paste and fry till the onion changes color.
- Now add Onion paste and cook till it changes color.
- Add tomato paste and also ginger and garlic paste and cook on medium flame till oil comes from the mixture.
- Now add mustard paste, curd turmeric powder, slit green chilies, red chili powder.
- Cook on medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add water and bring it to a boil.
- At this point, add fried Fish pieces slowly to the mixture and cook it on a low flame for at least 5 minutes (Pan should be covered with a lid in this stage).
- Pabda Macher Tel Jhal is ready to serve with steamed rice.
- I've used whole fish, however, cut it into halves if the fishes are of large size.
- You must soak mustard seed in lukewarm water before making the paste.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 125g
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 460mg
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 25.5g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
Keywords: Pabda Macher Tel jhal, Pabda mach recipe, bengali pabda fish curry recipe, debjanir rannaghar