A classic Bengali fish curry called Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal is made with Ilish Mach. This dish is also known as Shorshe Ilish or Ilish Macher Jhal.
- 6 Pieces Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach ( around 1kg)
To make the Mustard Paste:
- 1 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed (it should be soaked in lukewarm water)
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed (it should be soaked in lukewarm water)
- 3 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed/ Kalojire / Kalonji (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 6 Green Chili (slit)
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 3 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Mustard Oil
- To make Ilish macher Jhal, start by making a thick paste of Mustard seeds with 2 green chilies and 1/2 Tsp. of salt.
- Strain the mixture to discard the husk and set aside.
- Rub fish pieces with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- Heat Mustard oil in a deep pan and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
- Temper hot oil with Nigella Seed. Pour in the mustard paste, green chilies, red chili powder, and water and boil on medium flame.
- Add the fish pieces and cook on low flame for at least 10 minutes.
- Cover the pan with a lid.
- Uncover the pan and pour raw Mustard oil over the gravy and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Adjust the consistency and serve with steamed rice.
- Restrain from using Khoka Ilish.
- You can adjust chilli based on your preference.
- You can make the gravy runny or a bit thick based on your preference. I prefer a bit thick.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Fish, Lunch
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 1297mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
Keywords: Shorshe Ilish recipe, ilish macher jhal recipe, shorshe diye ilish macher jhol recipe, debjanir rannaghar