Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal | Hilsa Fish in Mustard Gravy
A classical Bong Fish Curry prepared with Ilish Mach or Hilsa Fish is Ilish Macher Sorshe bata diye Jhal or Hilsa Fish in Mustard Gravy called for a very easy recipe
- Author: Debjani Chatterjee Alam
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 5-6 People 1x
- Category: Fish, Lunch
- Method: cooking
- Cuisine: Bengali
- 6 Pieces Hilsa fish/ Ilish Mach ( around 1kg)
To make the Mustard Paste:
- 1 Tbsp. Black Mustard Seed (it should be soaked in lukewarm water)
- 1 Tbsp. Yellow Mustard Seed (it should be soaked in lukewarm water)
- 3 Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Nigella Seed/ Kalojire / Kalonji (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt or to taste
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric powder
- 6 Green Chili (slit)
- 1/2 Tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 3 Tbsp. + 1 Tsp. Mustard Oil
- Prepare a thick paste of Mustard seeds either in a grinder or with the help of “Shilnora” or “Shilbatta” by adding 2 green chilies and 1/2 Tsp. of salt and keep it aside.
- Add1 Cup of water to this mixture and get this through a strainer to discard the husk.
- Rub fish pieces with 1/4 Tsp. salt and ½ Tsp. turmeric powder and keep them aside.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. of Mustard oil in a deep pan (preferably Karai) till the oil changes color.
- Add 1/4 Tsp. each of Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, and also Salt.
- Temper hot Oil with Nigella Seed.
- Pour mustard paste, turmeric powder, green chilies, red chili powder, and water to the mixture and boil it on medium flame.
- Now add fish pieces slowly to the mixture and cook it on low flame for at least 10 minutes. The Pan should be covered with a lid in this stage.
- Uncover the pan and pour 1 Tsp. of raw Mustard oil over the gravy and bring it to boil for 2-3 minutes.
- At desired consistency take it out of the gas.
- Ilish macher Jhal is ready to serve with steamed rice.
- Restrain from using Khoka Ilish.
- You can adjust chilli based on your preference.
- You can make the gravy runny or a bit thick based on your preference. I prefer a bit thick.
- Serving Size: 150g
- Calories: 367
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 1297mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 50g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
Keywords: Shorshe Ilish recipe, ilish macher jhal recipe, shorshe diye ilish macher jhol recipe, debjanir rannaghar
Recipe Card powered by