South Indian Prawn Curry
Recipe type: Seafood
Cuisine: South Indian
Serves: 4-5 People
- Medium sized Prawn: 750g (de-veined and de-shelled)
- Sliced Onion: ½ Cup
- Onion Paste: 2 Tbsp.
- Coconut Milk: 1 Cup (I have used Dabur Hommade Coconut Milk)
- Tamarind Paste: 1 Tsp. (I have used Dabur Hommade Tamarind Paste)
- Ginger Paste: 1 Tsp.
- Garlic Paste: 1.5 Tsp.
- Tomato Puree: 1 Tbsp.
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tsp. (I have used Dabur Hommade Lemoneez)
- Curry Leaves: 15-20
- Dry Red Chili: 1
- Asafoetida: ½ Tsp.
- Cumin Powder: ⅔ Tsp.
- Coriander Powder: ⅔ Tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: ⅔ Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
- Sugar: 1 Tsp. (optional)
- Salt: to Taste
- Refined Oil: 3 Tbsp. (can be substituted with Coconut Oil)
- Wash Prawns thoroughly and de-vein and de-shell those.
- Leave the prawns for 15 minutes after rubbing half of the salt and turmeric Powder.
- Chop onion and make paste of 1 onion.*
- Heat Oil in a wok and fry marinated prawns until those turn reddish in color. Strain from oil and keep aside.
- Temper the remaining oil with Asafoetida, Curry leaves and dried red chili.
- Add chopped onion and fry till the onion turn golden in color.
- Add Onion paste and Tamarind paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and tomato puree and after through mixing cook for two minutes until the raw aroma of tomato gone completely.
- Add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Red Chili Powder, Sugar and Salt and cook till the mixture leaves the edges of the pan.
- Add Coconut Milk and bring the mixture to boil.
- Add 2 cups of water and fried Prawns as well and cook by covering the pan till the desired consistency reached.
- Add Garam Masala Powder and little Lemon Juice (I have used Lemoneez) and finish the curry.
- Serve South Indian Prawn Curry with hot steamed rice.
Recipe by Debjanir Rannaghar at http://kitchenofdebjani.com/2016/12/south-indian-prawn-curry-review-dabur-hommade-products/