Pasta’s Colour Game with multi coloured Tutti Frutti!
Author: Debjani Chatterjee
- Raw Papaya: 1 (500g)
- Granulated Sugar: 400g
- Vanilla Essence: 2-3 drops
- Food Colour: 2-3 drops of each colour (I've used Red, Blue, Green and Yellow Gel Colour)*
- Wash Papaya thoroughly and peel Papaya Skin using a peeler.
- Cut Papaya into 4 equal halves and then remove Seed and also remove soft white inner skin from the Papaya.
- Now cut Papaya into small cubes. Refer to the picture for size of each Papaya Cube. From 500g Papaya I had around 2 Cup full of Papaya Cubes.
- Now take 5 cups of Water in a vessel and start boiling the water in medium flame and add Papaya Cubes and then blanch for around 3-5 minutes or till Papaya Cubes turns translucent.
- Switch the flame off and cover the vessel containing papaya and water with a lid and give it a stand for 5 minutes.
- Strain Cooked Papayas from water and discard the water.
- Take Sugar along with 2 cups of water in a vessel and start boiling it in medium flame till sugar dissolves completely.
- Add Cooked Papayas in the Sugar Syrup and cook till the syrup turns into one string consistency and then switch the flame off.
- Add Vanilla essence to the Papaya mix and give it a light mix.
- I've prepared 5 coloured Tutti Fruitti.
- Now take 5 small bowls and 2-3 drops of food colour in each bowl (Red, Green, Blue and Orange); no colour is required for White Tutti Fruitti viz. Red, Orange, Blue , Green and White.
- Now divide cooked Papayas along with Sugar Syrup into the bowls and mix with spoons to coat Papaya Cubes with the colour.
- Cover bowls with lid and leave those overnight to help Papaya cubes to absorb colour.
- After 6-8 hours strain Candied Papayas from the Sugar Syrup and then spread those over wire net and dry those under open air.
- My Tutti Frutti took 1.5 days to dry completely. Completely dried Tutti Frutti won't stick together.
- Store dried Tutti Frutti in Airtight container for future use.
Recipe by Debjanir Rannaghar at https://kitchenofdebjani.com/2015/05/tutti-frutti/